Must suck being a Ford mechanic

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The 5.4 was turd... Hell, even my beloved V10 was kind of a turd but there's absolutely no disputing how far Ford has come in the past couple of years and the momentum they seem to be building is scary.

This is the type of stuff the government should be encouraging, not shitty electric cars no one wants to buy.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
from the video it sounded as though that same truck has been through the Dyno durability tests, hauling logs, etc

the thing probably has every "good" part from each parts bin...still pretty damn good even if it's a cherry picked motor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2su_8pTkOkU

That engine was taken randomly from a stockpile. That same engine that just did the 24test went through this dyno test before hand.

They took the engine from -20f to 230f in only a few minutes, repeatedly, for days on end.

I need to find the article that went along with that video, they did some pretty sick shit to that engine.

The 5.4 was turd... Hell, even my beloved V10 was kind of a turd but there's absolutely no disputing how far Ford has come in the past couple of years and the momentum they seem to be building is scary.

This is the type of stuff the government should be encouraging, not shitty electric cars no one wants to buy.

We have F350's at the station with the V10 in them. We hardly ever maintain them any more than refilling the washer reservoir, and we use them 4-5 times per week towing a 9,600lb boat through the streets of Miami. A lot of it is stop and go on a 45mph road. :bowdown: These things never skip a beat.

93R-Code

F150 Quality isn’t anything new…

Of all the cars/trucks I’ve owned the last twenty years F-150s have been by far the most reliable and have had the highest resale. I’ve had four, a ’95 5.8 Lightning, 2000 5.4 2v 2wd, 2004 5.4 3v 4x4 and 2003 5.4 Lightning. My ’07 Chevy TB SS with only 28k has been back to the dealer for warranty work more times than those four trucks combined. :ford:

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
i would hate to be a ford mechanic right now too. most of the 3 valve V8s are needing spark plugs now. ford's brilliantly designed plug breaks off in the head.
im sure the people that bought "america's greatest truck" love paying $1000+ on spark plugs. :rofl: :ford:

Okay, this is where you need to use a bit of common sense. Ford DOESN'T design spark plugs, Autolite does.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
They make a special tool that's in all the tool catalogs to repair the damage when this happens FWIW

There actually is a TSB out on how to remove plugs. What happpens is that carbon builds up and it makes them difficult to remove. If you are careful, the two piece plugs can break. This is easily resolved by removing them carefully per the TSB and every 30-40K.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
They make a special tool that's in all the tool catalogs to repair the damage when this happens FWIW

They make a lot of special tools to do a lot of special projects that may or may not be on only a select few cars. I'm sure there are thousands of GM-only tools out there also. This forum alone has a lot of them. :mamoru:

Okay, this is where you need to use a bit of common sense. Ford DOESN'T design spark plugs, Autolite does.

Shhhh! They think they found a flaw with a Ford motor. Let it be! Let them have their pride.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info