looking for G8 views and answeres

mat0485

Addict
Nov 27, 2009
Aurora
I'm really digging the G8 GT. would love the gxp but they're rare and well over 30k and for a toy and i'm only 25 that just seems pointless. I know very little about gm v8's.

Wondering if the G8 GT 6.0 is worth it. I dont even know what motor that is. LS2? Does the trans hold? I'd like to build the car over the years.

I guess any advice would be great. Thanks

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
I'm really digging the G8 GT. would love the gxp but they're rare and well over 30k and for a toy and i'm only 25 that just seems pointless. I know very little about gm v8's.

Wondering if the G8 GT 6.0 is worth it. I dont even know what motor that is. LS2? Does the trans hold? I'd like to build the car over the years.

I guess any advice would be great. Thanks

GXPs are gorgeous, but yes, you will more than likely pay over 30k for a used GXP. However, even used GTs are going for the mid-upper 20k range with low(er) mileage. G8s are holding their value pretty well now.

The GT has the L76, which I believe is a cross between an LS2 and LS3, but someone correct me if I am wrong. The GXP has the LS3. The interior is beautiful, seats are comfy and it rides pretty nice. From what I have read, the trans holds pretty well without having to completely upgrade it.

G8board.com will have a lot of info for you. G8s are easy to mod, but with such limited quantities, modding can be a little pricey and if you need replacement parts (warranty), it could take a while to get them.

Overall, I love my G8, especially since Stryker Blue is so rare... I get comments everywhere and chicks dig it too. Much better than my GTP, hands down.

I just wish I could drive it more, but with winter coming, it will stay under 3k miles (and I have own it since February '09).

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Some g8's are known to have suspension/ vibration issues. Some say the dod causes some vibration. Dunno , I had my g8 tuned with dod off and now that I sold my tuner and dod kicks in, it does feel different. My axleback has some drone so I'm sure that doesn't help. Other than some suspension issues eveything else seems stout.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
what about the caddy? under 25k and fully loaded... Just seems the caddy has more options with the gps. nicer sound... and i think looks are very close.

I don't know much about Caddys, but yes you can get a CTS-V for under 25k, but it would already be 6 years old and probably have more miles on it than a G8 built in '08 or '09. I know Caddys aren't cheap to fix either, since it will probably be out of warranty. And I wouldn't go for a Caddy just because it has GPS, when you can buy a nice portable GPS for under $200.

Best way to answer this is to test drive both.

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
How is it a dog? GTs can run low-mid 13s stock at 4,000+ lbs. and under 30k new. Some GXPs have hit 12.9 bone stock.

I don't consider that a dog.

I'd say your Jag isn't anything to brag about stock either and it's really just an overpriced Ford.

I never said mine was fast
But I'll gladly bust your ass with my over priced Ford Contour. Bring that bitch out. I even have winter tires on it now cause I drive it all year round as it is my daily driver beater!
Don't get all butt hurt cause I called G8s DOGS. Why don't you come play with this kitty or sit the on the porch lil a good lil pet!

:s00ls:
:rofl:

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
I never said mine was fast
But I'll gladly bust your ass with my over priced Ford Contour. Bring that bitch out. I even have winter tires on it now cause I drive it all year round as it is my daily driver beater!
Don't get all butt hurt cause I called G8s DOGS. Why don't you come play with this kitty or sit the on the porch lil a good lil pet!

:s00ls:
:rofl:

Lol... I'd say that you have me confused with yourself and your butt getting hurt over the price of that jag.

Wanna cookie for throwing winter tires on it too?

:ford:

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
the powertrain on the G8 GT is very stout. the L76 and 6L80 are both very strong, along with the rear end which also will take a beating. the L76 is basically the LS2, but IIRC has L92 heads, LS3 intake, lower compression, and a DOD cam. im sure there's more, but you get the idea. they both share the same bore and stroke

i wish the GTO came with a 6 speed auto and the same rear end as the G8. hell i probably would've bought a G8 instead of the gto, but they were out of my price range at the time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info