Bike Maintenance and Repair

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Now that I have a bike, one aspect that I don't know much about is the maintenance and repair, so I have a handful of questions... that may be answered with a well organized Wiki page link.........

I'd be more than happy to pay someone for their time to do a 'once over' on my bike *Check chain/explain to me what I need to do/check, Check the carbs... if they have any kind of adjustment? etc?*

Only real problem my bike has that after warming up it still has a bit of hesitation as if the choke was on between 3-5K RPM... Above 5K it pulls plenty strong, and puttering around low RPM it drives great also.

LIGHTNING MIKE

Jun 15, 2009
How long did it sit? If it sat for even couple months,the carbs will probably need to be cleaned and "synced". When you synce the carbs,you are basically balancing them out.

Maintence is simple,once the gas tank is off,you have access to spark plugs,wires,carbs and such.

Oil change is simple,i would recommend you get at least a rear bike stand.Makes for easy service work.

The service manuel can be found online,just do a pdf search and it will help with maintence on the bike.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Should I remove them to clean them, or is it easy to clean them while still on the bike?

I read that I can 'sync' mine without even pulling the gas tank? (Found a little write-up on it)

So there is no real 'adjustment' then, Just keeping them clean and 'synced'?

My bike has a kick stand, and the rear tire stand, do all bikes have both?

LIGHTNING MIKE

Jun 15, 2009
Should I remove them to clean them, or is it easy to clean them while still on the bike?

I read that I can 'sync' mine without even pulling the gas tank? (Found a little write-up on it)

So there is no real 'adjustment' then, Just keeping them clean and 'synced'?

My bike has a kick stand, and the rear tire stand, do all bikes have both?

yea they have to be removed to clean.There are balancing screws on the carbs.Same if you "jet" a carb,you need to adjust fuel mixture screw and such.

If you have a center stand that works also,till you have to remove the rear wheel or adjust the chain.But they are good for oil changes.

Not sure what bikes still come with center stands.

LIGHTNING MIKE

Jun 15, 2009
I would not attempt to clean and sync your carbs yourself. Better off leaving it to a professional. You chould try putting seafoam in the tank and running and see if it helps any. Tune up shouldn't be too bad to do either.

I would never use seafoam in anything,even more on a motorcycle!!!! I do agree with you taking to pro for cleaning.Not for 1st time mechanic.

You need a carb balance tool for 2 or 4 pair carbs.

Like this: ebay 160505705293

LIGHTNING MIKE

Jun 15, 2009
Jack stands under the swingarm...

Yeah, you might just want to pull the carbs and have them cleaned in a tank, then rebuild. Not like there's much riding left this season anyway.

yea i guess you could do that.haha But for safety reasons,i would use the proper bike stand.

Shoot if you are gonna go ron's way,might as well use milk crates then!! haha
You can get those for free!!!

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I used to re-jet and tune my own bikes...had a wall mounted mercury sync too.

However on my ZX9R, I got the tune close...then brought it to a guy with his own personal home dyno. He had the bike for 2 weeks between the other bikes he had and waiting for a good barometric pressure. He was only able to beat my HP tune by 3hp (153), BUT the bike was soooo much more driveable. With my tune the bike was so-so under 6-7K rpm, then took off like a bat out of hell...in fact, you could stay in the throttle WOT until 6-7K, then the wheel would start coming up...so you always knew when it was in it's powerband...lol.

Anyway, after I got the bike back it was smooth like butter off idle to redline...so much more power under the curve than before.

Guess the moral here is...do it yourself, see how it's done, then find a pro to tweak it for you.

LIGHTNING MIKE

Jun 15, 2009
Well its not the fix for the source of the problem.Kinda like people using febreze to "mask" funky smells! You can make it smell good for lil bit,but the AZZ smell will always win!!

Stead of washing the funk out of whatever,mmmm lets hide the azz smell with febreze .haha

So why make a temp fix,when you can fix the problem all together?You fellas are welcome to use whatever you like to get by,but fix it right the 1st time or dont fix it at all!! GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! :wavey:

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Well its not the fix for the source of the problem.Kinda like people using febreze to "mask" funky smells! You can make it smell good for lil bit,but the AZZ smell will always win!!

Stead of washing the funk out of whatever,mmmm lets hide the azz smell with febreze .haha

So why make a temp fix,when you can fix the problem all together?You fellas are welcome to use whatever you like to get by,but fix it right the 1st time or dont fix it at all!! GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! :wavey:

I think I see what you are trying to say. It's like using draino on a dirty drain to see if that helps instead of calling the professionals and spending a ton of money on something you may not need.
It's $10 for a bottle of seafoam. It's statistically proven to clean valves and other parts of engines. I would rather have him spend $10 than to take the whole thing apart himself possibly mess it up and then spend a whole hell of a lot more money fixing it.
I work on my own bike and have done a tune up on it and everything but I will not pull the carbs off. A lot of bike people wont. They take it to someone who really knows what they are doing.

LIGHTNING MIKE

Jun 15, 2009
Yea i cant say how well it works,never have used the stuff.I also can say i've never heard of using that stuff in a motorcycle.

Problem with carbs is,once they get dirty of "gummed" up you really have no choice but to disassemble and clean the internals of the carb assembly.Pouring anything in the gas tank will probably not clean the carbs very well.

Hey its a chance he can take,see what happens.But i would personally just pull them and clean them up.If they are not real bad,you dont even need to "tank" them.Good tall can of carb cleaner and air gun will do a good "basic" clean job.

Kinda like the guys that use "body sprays" axx and such,stead of taking a shower and cleaning off turd smelling body stank,they mask it with a can of perume!!haha

But i would not be afraid to tear into those carbs,shoot its only a 500,theres not alot on the engine that will cause stress for maintence.

Just order new gaskets for carbs and tear dem bitches out and clean them!! :fy:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info