Ford ECU Gurus

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The ranger is still 'on track' for getting torn down again this winter, but I need to start looking into how to tune this truck...

Does anyone know what style of 'plug' the 1994-1995 5.0 Mustangs use for their ECU and what style/shape they are?

I'm starting to think it may not be too painful to switch to a distributor and run an OBD1 ECU and just re-wire whatever I need to re-wire...? (I'm decently capable at soldering etc)

If emissions becomes an issue, I'll make it a dedicated drag truck and not drive it on the street anymore, or see about other ways to 'fake out' my OBD2 port to read clean (I'm sure there are people who have done this) :dunno:

Any input? Anyone have a pic of an OBD1 Ford ECU and/or specifically a mustang one....? Or maybe even have one forsale???

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I didn't realize you would have to deal with emissions. That sucks. Just make friends with somebody that doesn't have them and re-register the truck there and go distributor/carb.

Is it impossible to swap to a mustang wiring harness, sensors and ecu?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I didn't realize you would have to deal with emissions. That sucks. Just make friends with somebody that doesn't have them and re-register the truck there and go distributor/carb.

Is it impossible to swap to a mustang wiring harness, sensors and ecu?

I had to renew the plates, and they had asked to see my license to pull up the truck and noticed it was still registered to Ottawa, so when they renewed the tags, they had to update the address too......

I'd rather stay EFI honestly, and like I said I'm sure I can 'bluff' it out one way or another if need be.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Just have an obd1 setup actually controlling the truck then have the obd2 system under the dash with power and have everything showing ready. Does your tuner allow you to turn off codes? :rofl:

The sniper tuner does not allow me to turn off codes :(

it SHOULD be able to handle everything that I'll be throwing at it over winter (Cam Kit, Headers, Light engine work), But incase it doesn't, I'd like to be pro-active about looking for new options.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
honestly your gonna have a helluva time finding an OBD2 spoof

its illegal by federal law to tamper with emmissions
but if you got mad skills i wouldnt doubt you could intercept the data request protocol for emissions monitors, and have it report back with "ready" info.

at the least you could use the standard protocols most scantools use but if im not mistaken the readers at the test stations also do vin recall, so you'd want to do your work then take it in to be tested and actually intercept their method.

too bad i gave up computers in HS and went with auto/12v computers

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
honestly your gonna have a helluva time finding an OBD2 spoof

its illegal by federal law to tamper with emmissions
but if you got mad skills i wouldnt doubt you could intercept the data request protocol for emissions monitors, and have it report back with "ready" info.

at the least you could use the standard protocols most scantools use but if im not mistaken the readers at the test stations also do vin recall, so you'd want to do your work then take it in to be tested and actually intercept their method.

too bad i gave up computers in HS and went with auto/12v computers

There is ALOT of 'grey area' with emissions on engine swapped vehicles...
The PRIMARY laws I've seen are that the engine needs to be as new or newer than the vehicle it is going into.

ON THAT NOTE VIN recall is 'moot' since my ECU is out of a 2001 explorer.

I've asked the DMV 'what to do' in regards to this truck, and they did not have an answer, and left a voicemail with someone 'higher up' who never called me back........

"In Theory" I can re-title the truck as a home-built and be exempt but I'd have to have someone 'inspect' it, and I have no idea what that would entail.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
be cheeper to get a 95 title and youll be able to get away with saying its a 95/motor/chassis with a 98 body as your old body rusted away

The 'last' option, *Not very hard either...*

Would be to find a 95 'donor' truck...

95 was the first year of the 'new' style interior, the 5.0 drops in just as easily, swap on my rear-end/suspension and I could take my time and find a super clean shell down south and tow it up here, and swap out the front clip off my 98.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info