Whats a fun 5 spd car for under 10k?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Ive been lookin for a nice WRX but none are anywhere close to 10k, civic is out. How are SRT4s reliablity wise? Mustang is out as it isnt a very family friendly car. Mazda speed3 crossed my mind but again cant find one under or around 10k in my area.

Not a speed3, Just a regular 3, 170hp is still a healthy amount honestly.

SRT4's motors are fairly strong, but have a few 'choice' weakpoints to my understanding, and some really stupid design choices *Rear crank window, power front, as an example*

You can find a CHERRY focus ST Sedan for $6-7K, Will be dead reliable, great family car, and has some Pep to it, turbo kits if you need more.

b00ya

AHHHH!!
Jun 10, 2008
Aurora
Yea thats the main thing i hate about the neons is the crank windows. I'm more looking for something that is quicker then the civic we currently have for when im alone and it has to be safe and reliable for when I have my daughter with me. The redline was fun as hell to drive but they are hard to come by down here. SS/SC cobalt would be too hard to get the baby in and out of. If I get something I want it to be an adder 4 cylinder car, turbo or blower whine ftw.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Also might want to consider the previous gen Mazda6 with V-6 and five-speed manual. Just poked through some listings and not as hard to find as I thought. A few in the area for below $10,000.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
If you don't mind looking like a rube, a PT GT with the 5-speed was a fun and surprisingly quick car. They can be had for $6K with low miles, and all you need is about $500 to really make it move out.

If I were back in the market for a used car, and you have the exact criteria that I have, I would seriously consider the Focus ST. The for Ford MTX trans is real slick (I had one in my SVT Contour) and the focus is nice a light, dead nuts reliable, and with the ST you get the big motor that I've been told takes much better to boost than the SVT Focus. But thats just my .02

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info