Trailblazer SS, BOOM, no drive or 3rd gear

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Well the fucking piece of shit drive line on my 06 Trailblazer shit the bed AGAIN and went on the tow truck to Bob Jass Chevy in Elburn (I know nothing about them other than my girlfriends brother in law knows people there) since it blew while pulling out of the gas station on 23 in Sycamore and I'm stranded in DeKalb until I can get a rental tomorrow.

I pulled out of the gas station like a normal human being, didn't get on it and BOOM, no more Drive or 3rd gear, stabilitrac light on and I coasted into an empty parking lot. I knew when I heard the boom that both I and my SS were fucked and it sounded a lot like what I went thru before when I had the front splines on the passenger side half shaft eat themselves back in January. Difference is when the splines went I had no forward gears only reverse and although the sound was the same the symptoms were different. Just for the nay-sayers and people that don't know me NO I DON'T BEAT ON MY SS FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT I CAN'T AFFORD THIS SHIT. Regardless I'll find out whats wrong soon enough and be stuck in a rental until I can get this thing fixed. Oh that's after I try to get a loan thru my credit union to get this shit payed for. The splines was a touch under $3000 and if its the trans this time (which I'm starting to think more and more that it is) its going to be a hell of a lot more.

Now the decision to keep this thing is getting even harder to decide. Maybe I should just say fuck it and trade it in for a Jeep SRT8 or a Sierra Denali?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
It WAS a nice truck. Now it's just transportation (once I get it back) until I get something else. If the Jeep SRT wasn't such a gas hog I wouldn't even be thinking about anything else and I'd just go get one. FML

Could the SRT8 really eat up a lot more gas than an SS??? I doubt it. The cost difference per month would be negligible, if you really want an SRT8, go get one. It's not like ur going from a civic to the srt8.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Could the SRT8 really eat up a lot more gas than an SS??? I doubt it. The cost difference per month would be negligible, if you really want an SRT8, go get one. It's not like ur going from a civic to the srt8.

If it's a Mopar...Yes, lots more.

I had a Dakota with 318, 5 speed, 3.55 gears...short cab, never loaded full of stuff. When I commuted with it, 11-12mpg, the best I ever got was 17...and tht was a long trip with the cruise on at 65 mph.

I loved that truck, but the gas was making me poor. That's why I bought the GTP.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
but that ss might at best be getting 17-18... the difference between that and the srt which would prolly be 12-14 isnt too much of a difference is what i think he meant. ...

my boss' 5.7l hemi jeep gets about 13mpg with his wife babying it. im sure the 6.1 is only going to be worse....
i dont care about gas mileage though. i didnt buy 2 v8 cars to watch my MPGs...

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I get (got) 15-16 driving around town and 17-18mpg on the highway doing normal driving. Your thinking of "Why buy a TBSS and not beat on it" is ignorant, it's a nice car and it goes fast, that doesn't mean you beat the living shit out of it. I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that I do not beat on my SS, I drive aggressively but by no means do I beat on it simply because I didn't want this kind of shit to happen to me and repairs of this magnitude are a little too expensive for me.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Well, not optimal..but in your case trading in your truck for another truck is going to be a bigger hit than just fixing what you got.

Heavy vehicles with good power are always going to have a tendency to blow out drivelines in a hurry; nature of the beast.

I thought the TBSS had better milage than that, so pardon my ignorance.

$3K installed for a trans is actually not that bad. When I grenaded the trans in my Dakota it was over $3K; and that's with me taking it out and installing the new one myself! I beat the living fuck out of my truck, so in my case it was me to blame...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info