Whats your opinion on used tires?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Figure I toss this out there,

What is everyones opinions on used tires on your DD's/Beaters?

I do not have the best history for keeping cars for a long time, and have only purchased brand new tires twice in my life, and that was for my ford focus, and for my V-8 SHO since they were trashed and I couldn't find a new set easily...

I will buy a brand new set for whatever rims I buy for my orange truck some spring, but find it hard to eat $200-250 for 2 new tires installed on the front of my 4X4 Vs. $25 per tire + Install for used.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
is this a serious thread? people have been buying used tires since the first caveman invented the wheel. find a good set on a message board or craigslist and save yourself a few hundred.

I was just curious if some people strayed away for any reason... I really cannot think of any reason to NOT buy used for most cases. Bit slow right now, so I'm thread whoring a bit I confess

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
i tend to get used tires considering the tire size i need + brand i prefer for my "fun car" are roughyl 450-500 a piece...versus ~100 used with about 70% life left. i have two sets of new tires...one for the summer on the good rims for when i drive out of state or go on extended driving trips...and i always always buy new winter tires.

ebay is your friend.

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
Prelude, used tires. Infiniti and Supra, new tires. The thing I hate about used tires is that depending how old they are, they get dry-rotted. You can have as much as thread as you want, but if it's dry-rotted, it's no use to me.

Tires are one of the most important safety feature on your car! If you do get used, make sure to find some nice ones. I know you can tell how old they are by looking at the sidewall. There's like 4 numbers, first 2 I believe are the week in which they were made and last 2 are the year. (I.E. 0908 would be 9 weeks into '08 which is first week of March). Correct me if I'm wrong but I know forsure the last 2 numbers are the year.

Jakeman17

TCG Elite Member
Aug 1, 2009
Algonquin
Prelude, used tires. Infiniti and Supra, new tires. The thing I hate about used tires is that depending how old they are, they get dry-rotted. You can have as much as thread as you want, but if it's dry-rotted, it's no use to me.

Tires are one of the most important safety feature on your car! If you do get used, make sure to find some nice ones. I know you can tell how old they are by looking at the sidewall. There's like 4 numbers, first 2 I believe are the week in which they were made and last 2 are the year. (I.E. 0908 would be 9 weeks into '08 which is first week of March). Correct me if I'm wrong but I know forsure the last 2 numbers are the year.

Correct the last 4 digits om the dot number tell you the age

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
thats also one of the reasons you want to go to a high volume joint for new tires, NTB tried to sell us tires made in 04 in 09 for the van....told them take em off and put newer one's on, ended up getting 25$ off each ended up paying 100$ each for goodyear wranglers.

the dodge gets good used tires , my truck has 33" tires that cost me 20$ each cause two had the lovely ford ttb wear pattern (people still havent learned you get more miles outta your tires when ya rotate them)

eric's crapalier always gets junkyard tires and rims...he doesnt even get em rebalanced he has 14's up front and 15's in the rear

when you buy used you really have to look at the carcass real well to read what the tires been through

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info