Your first time...

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL
Simple questions:
When/Where was the first time you drove?
What did you drive?

For me:
August 1988, Holsopple PA
1979 Blazer (2-tone red/white)

While I was visiting my Aunt Thelma and Uncle Glen for a couple weeks, my Uncle Glen (who died 10 years later, the day the loan for my 1976 Monte Carlo was approved) took me with to do some errands. On the way back, instead of pulling into their driveway, he turned into the grassy field across the street, parked the Blazer and asked me if I wanted to drive. Naturally, I did. After that, my parents allowed me to move their '81 MC SC (now mine) out of the garage whenever we took that car.

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * Chicagoland Meets, 2011?
MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"I've always seen myself as a hopeless romantic" ... Gary Morris & Crystal Gayle ... 'Another World'

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
12 years old, 1984 Camaro Berlinetta, with my dad, 14, by myself up and down the gravel road, half the time driving like a jackass in the same car, but, I feel that has made me a much safer driver, I learned at an early age how to avoid certain situations, how to react to skidding, stopping quick without locking the wheels, etc.

GraFFix

A 302 and a little boost
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
First time I was behind the wheel I was 5 years old sitting on my dads lap steering as he drove down the side street...that was a 1967 Corvette Stingray.

First time I actually used the gas pedal and drove myself was when I was 14 and would take my moms 1979 Pontiac Phoenix for joy rides around the neighborhood. I was to afraid to go on the main roads so I stuck to side streets and alleys lol.

My neighbor busted me on accident...One day he mentioned to my Mom. "I didnt know Joe got his license" Doh!

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
shit, i dont know..... i drove from time to time since i was 13/14ish with my dad, hell probably earlier than that...about the time i could reach the pedals.

i remember being 15ish, no liscense or permit, borrowing my dads 68 427 4-speed vette or his 18k mile '87 national and crusing it alllllllll night with my friends. ohhhh the good ol' days.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
1979 (I was 15/16) ~ First and mostly drove Mom's 1976 AMC Pacer. On rare occasions I drove Dad's 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ with the 400/4bbl engine.
(gotta love the sound of a Poncho 400 with all 4 barrels open and an open element air filter!)

NOTE: Drivers ed in school had 1972 and 1974 Chevy Vega's so I guess these would be the "first"

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
First time... I was 4 or 5. Mom left me in the car, with it running, while she was bringing groceries in. I climbed over to the driver's seat and put it in gear... straight through the garage door. Good start, if I do say so myself ;)

Sat on parents laps and steered quite often when i was 7-10.

Actually drove the car in parking lots with the 'rents starting when I was 12 or 13, I think.

So... That makes the 'first' time in 1990, steering in '92-'95, and driving for the first time around '97. Got My license June 17, 2001; the day I turned 16. Went half and half (later paid back the other half) with my dad on my first car when I turned 15.

firemandan1700

Bite my shiny metal ass
Apr 6, 2008
LaSalle County
Its always like a tradition to ride in dads lap when were 6 or 8 and drive lol.

The 1st thing I drove was a Dresser front end loader, 4 spd on the column w/ a 10yd bucket. I know I'm a badass ( I kno not really) lol. When I was in h.s. I worked for a private owned stone quarry that my dad worked in/managed.

But the 1st time solo in a vehicle and 1st manual vehicle was a 86 chevy 1 ton dually pickup. It was a 4 spd manual with a granny low and 1-3 gears. It had a custom flatbed made by dad for hauling tools, a welder and a air compressor. It drove like a tank and a blast to drive. Drove it in the quarry when i worked there

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
First time I drove(besides the sitting in the lap) I was 14 out at a bar with my dad. He got really drunk and as we were driving back home I was nagging at him about him being to drunk to drive so sure enough he pulled got out and told me to get behind the wheel. Very interesting driving in the city at 2 in the morning.

Edit me 14 = 2000
The city grand and I believe Pulaski
Car nothing fancy just a 95 oldmobile cutlass supreme

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL
i remember being 15ish, no liscense or permit, borrowing my dads 68 427 4-speed vette or his 18k mile '87 national and crusing it alllllllll night with my friends. ohhhh the good ol' days.

Nice. By the time I started driving, my parents didn't have cool cars like that...lol.

Around 11 or 12. Was my Grandma's 1974 Monte Carlo. I grew up in Iowa, we got our permits at age 14.

Awesome. :)

First time I drove was my dad's 1972 VW campervan just outside Blountville TN, I got it up to 65 on I-40 WB and one of the hubcaps flew off and passed us...

LOL! I've had that happen a few times in my days of driving. It's a weird feeling when you realize you've lost the hubcap for good....lol

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Things get complicated when you get past 18" ... Statler Brothers ... 'Class of '57'

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
summer of 1993
1989 international cab-over with C-16 CAT and super-10 10spd tranny

either hwy 12 or 14...just as you get into WI

my old man decided it was time i learned how to drive a semi on the road (mainly since i was big enough to reach the pedals and wouldnt stop begging) pulled out of the rest area back onto the highway and guess who pulled up next to us....WI state police - didnt event look twice at me, just kept driving - i almost shat my pants...that was the first time i drove on a public road...good times! i plan on teaching my kid someday when he's big enough too

Tuner World

The tech kid!!
Mar 8, 2009
Hoffman Estates
Think it was 13? I finally convinced my uncle to let me drive the Prelude cause I wanted to show him how "easy" it was to drive stick since he said I couldn't drive the car. EPIC FAIL. Although I didn't do too bad after I finally got it moving in 1st after 10 stalls and it jerking crazy lol.

14 My dad let me drive his Mazda from Chicago back to Hoffman on the highway. I did good but I was scared as Sh*t the whole way thinking "how the F do people drive this fast on a highway?" I was only going like 65 lol. BTW my dad was obviously in the car. Now when I think about it, it was a fucken stupid idea on his part

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL
my old man decided it was time i learned how to drive a semi on the road (mainly since i was big enough to reach the pedals and wouldnt stop begging) pulled out of the rest area back onto the highway and guess who pulled up next to us....WI state police - didnt event look twice at me, just kept driving - i almost shat my pants...that was the first time i drove on a public road...good times!

I presume the rest of the drive was uneventful, but what a way to kick off the first driving experience...lol.

I did good but I was scared as Sh*t the whole way thinking "how the F do people drive this fast on a highway?" I was only going like 65 lol.

Heh ... I remember having a similar thought, but now ... I get antsy when people go slower than the speed limit ... and I'm stuck behind them.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"You really don't remember" ... Laura Branigan ... 'Gloria'

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
First time... I was 4 or 5. Mom left me in the car, with it running, while she was bringing groceries in. I climbed over to the driver's seat and put it in gear... straight through the garage door. Good start, if I do say so myself ;)

My brother did something similar. 84 Suburban C20, 7.4l 4bbl, that thing sounded sweet. Anywho, my brother was about 2, my dad had the key on for the radio to play, he was doing horse stuff at the stable (Lucky Lass on 95th and ?, i don't remember, its condos now) My brother crawled in, across the seat, took it out of park, and truck started rolling down the slope it was on toward a horse corral. My dad always said that's the fastest hes ever run..lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info