Winter Storage

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Riski's shit talking in this thread has got me thinking about storing cars in the winter, and would like to hear what TCG thinks. I personally think if a car has never seen a winter, and the owner has other means for transportation. Putting it away come winter shouldn't be an issue even though the car could be perfectly fine in snow. My dad stores his dime a dozen 300C during winter. Why? Because it was from Florida and has zero rust, if he has a truck why drive it?

I think storing a car in winter (at least in this area) can make it worth a tad more when it comes time to sell. Not only that but also can reduce the likely hood of problems down he road when it comes to rust. As a buyer Id pay more for a car that hasn't seen a winter.

Discuss: (keep in mind I am talking non-collectible type cars, non-race cars, non-show cars)

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
When we bought the Camaro 15+ years ago it was just another 3rd Gen but we stored it every winter since.
1987%20Camaro%201.jpg

I would say there is a pay-off in the long term doing that.

However, I've had the Regal for 10 years and it has been driven through every winter but washed once a week and parked in a heated garage every night. That car is still in great shape too!
Regal%20Rims%202.jpg

I can say that another big benefit of having alternate transportation for the winter is you aren't putting as many miles on the car. That too contributes directly to the car's condition and value.

Any plain-Jane car if taken care of will become a collectable car someday; look at VW Beetles!

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
If you have the space and the alternate transportation, go for it.

I stored my GTP for (4) winters because I had alternate transportation, so that saved me alot of miles being put on the car, overall wear 'n' tear was reduced and I didn't have to spend a ton more time worrying about how to keep it clean and virtually swirl-free.

Now that I have the GTP and G8, the G8 is stored in the winter. Again, less miles, less wear 'n' tear and it stays cleaner. It sucks cleaning the snow/ice off the GTP in the winter, but it is worth it to keep the G8 in overall better condition, which could keep its value slightly higher.

And as far as Riski's comments go in that thread... plain and simple, he can eat shit.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
store it if you want to. Who gives a fuck. The car will be worth more if it is stored, and is in better condition because of that. What if there werent a bunch of cool, all original, classic cars around right now because "its just a (insert "lame" car here) and you should beat the fuck out of it"

If you have a practical reason to do it, why not.

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
I just find it very fucking funny that dude posted saying it never seen winter....Highly doubtful that a GTP of any year is bought brand new, and stored come winter time, while they drove something of less.....If you believe his lie,.....your a retard :rofl:
Panda is defending a nobody just because he owns a GTP :rofl:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I just find it very fucking funny that dude posted saying it never seen winter....Highly doubtful that a GTP of any year is bought brand new, and stored come winter time, while they drove something of less.....If you believe his lie,.....your a retard :rofl:
Panda is defending a nobody just because he owns a GTP :rofl:

He could have been lived in southern state or he could bought the car from a southern state. :dunno: I don't believe he said he was the original owner or said the car lived in IL its whole life. If it did, and was stored winters I would think it would have less than 80K unless the guy drive it daily only in the summer. Who knows, im not defending nobody. I just stated reasons why I think people store cars. I wanted to hear what others think. I would be hard for me to store a GTP in the winter, only thing that might make me change my mind is if it was salt free its whole life or if it was so modified that I wanted to keep it nice.

Because I own a GTP I am wrong at all times. You do not know me, please do not make assumptions about anything. Like I said I made this thread to see what others think. Seems the general consensus is that if you want to store a car, you can. Regardless of what it is.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info