4X4 questions/advice

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I picked up my first 4X4 vehicle ever tonight, and was just curious what kind of things I should check on as far as maintenance on it before winter hits? *Seriously, I have no idea*

Its a 2000 ranger xlt with the 4.0 V-6/5spd auto, Electronic 4x4 'on the fly', and the 'off road' package, *8.8 diffs, factory 2 inch lift, skid plate, tow hooks on the front, fancy alloy rims*

As always 'I got a good deal' on it, and purchased it from a co-worker, so I'm not concerned about something about to fall apart on it as far as the 4X4 goes, but my friend is not mechanically inclined and I'd like to address whatever I can before winter hits.

BillyBru

FoodHead
Apr 29, 2008
Surprise_No_One_Cares-1.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Dad how many miles are on it and what year is it, was looking for that exact vehicle to trade the PT in on for the coming winter...I know you are a man that likes to flip his vehicles...;)

I think I said the year/details in the first post. It has 154 or 156K on it, I don't remember. :(

ONLY 'notable' damage on the truck is the top of the flare on the driver side looks like it had something dropped on it and is cracked in a 1sqft area that looks a bit ugly *shrugs*, Rest of the truck is straight as an arrow, no rust.

It does actually sound like an interesting vehicle. Throw up some pics.

Thank you, it is a good find, and hope it will serve me well if I keep it... Things are kinda up in the air until I figure out what will happen with the balt/finances/etc.

Ranger1.jpg

Ranger2.jpg

I didn't know they made it with a five spd auto?

98 and newer with the 4.0 V-6 were equipped with the 5R55E or w/e its called. The 2.5 and 3.0 had 4 speeds, and the explorers also switched to the 5 speed in 1998. Great transmission, not known for grenading like the AOD's were. I've heard great things about the 4X4 system in these too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info