Salvage title to rebuilt

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Anyone know what the procedure is to get a rebuilt title for a car/truck that has a salvage title? And or can I still get plates for a car that has a salvage title? I appreciate the help

Before you can operate your rebuilt auto in Illinois, it must first pass a Salvage Vehicle Inspection. The Secretary of State (SOS) mandates that all salvage vehicles eight years old or newer must pass the inspection to receive a rebuilt title. The inspection, conducted by the police, checks all essential parts and reviews all documentation, making sure the vehicle is not built with stolen parts.

NOTE: Before this inspection can take place, you must first take your vehicle to an Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) Safety Testing Lane and pass a safety test.

For the salvage inspection, you have your choice of four Secretary of State Police Inspection Stations:

â– Villa Park: (630) 693-0551
â– East Peoria: (309) 694-7961
â– Springfield: (217) 557-2084
â– Belleville: (618) 236 - 8755
Call to set an appointment. When you arrive, have the following:

â– IDOT vehicle inspection report and properly affixed non-expiring sticker.
â– Properly assigned salvage certificate in the name of the rebuilder, exactly as it appears on the rebuilder's license. Upon arrival at the inspection station, the odometer reading must be noted on the application.
â– Properly completed application, in the name of the rebuilder, for a rebuilt title.
â– Properly completed salvage affirmation identifying all essential parts that have been replaced on the rebuilt vehicle.
â– The original uniform invoice (such as a bill of sale) for each essential parts changed; junking titles/applications in the name of the rebuilder for vehicles from which essential parts have been used to rebuild the salvage vehicle.
â– Valid driver's license.
â– A separate check or money order for the $94 inspection fee (payable to Illinois Secretary of State).
â– A separate check or money order for the $95 title fee (payable to Illinois Secretary of State).
Keep in mind:

â– The inspection will not take place if any fees or documents are missing, incomplete, or incorrect.
â– The rebuilt vehicle must be completely rebuilt and in good working condition.
â– The vehicle's engine, transmission, and exterior must be thoroughly cleaned.
â– You will not be allowed in the inspection area during the inspection.
â– During the inspection, some parts may be removed in order to inspect the VIN.
â– Your entire vehicle or certain parts displaying identification numbers that are altered, false, or removed may be impounded and held for evidence.
â– The IL SOS will issue, at no charge, a short-term permit for driving your vehicle to and from the inspection site.
If your vehicle passes, its salvage title will be upgraded to a rebuilt title, allowing you to legally drive it on Illinois public roads.

J

Joe F

Hi Everyone, I know this is an old thread, but I have a salvage titled vehicle that I had a friend fix up for me. Its a 2000 ML350.
I'm looking for someone with a rebuilders license who can help me title it as rebuilt now. I know there is a guy who charges $500 but trying to keep my costs down a bit.
I'm willing to pay you for your time/expertise if you can help me!
Thanks
Joe F.

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
Hi Everyone, I know this is an old thread, but I have a salvage titled vehicle that I had a friend fix up for me. Its a 2000 ML350.
I'm looking for someone with a rebuilders license who can help me title it as rebuilt now. I know there is a guy who charges $500 but trying to keep my costs down a bit.
I'm willing to pay you for your time/expertise if you can help me!
Thanks
Joe F.
This is a buddy of mine, if anyone has any leads, it would be appreciated!

SRT41320 SRT41320 you maybe know anyone?

J

Joe F

$500 doesn’t sound unreasonable for someone staking their rebuilders license/reputation onto your vehicle to get you through.
Agreed, unfortunately in addition to the $500 they charge, I still have to pay the Inspection fee, and tax/title/plate fee on top of that so for a cheap car it adds up fast. Just trying to keep the cost down as much as I can.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Its a lot more expensive to get insurance. I'm not poitive but I dont think you can get full coverage. My buddy bought a car with a salvaged/rebuild title and had nothing but trouble getting insured. I'm almost positive he was only able to get liability.
I’ve never bought a rebuilt or salvaged vehicle they are usually a few grand less after they have been repaired. In that case I’d rather pay the extra for non damaged vehicle and paying extra for insurance can add up and the fee to get it inspected doesn’t seem worth it unless it’s half or less in price.

Reactions: Shawn1112
J

Joe F

I’ve never bought a rebuilt or salvaged vehicle they are usually a few grand less after they have been repaired. In that case I’d rather pay the extra for non damaged vehicle and paying extra for insurance can add up and the fee to get it inspected doesn’t seem worth it unless it’s half or less in price.
Definitely have to be careful what you are buying salvaged as there is usually more that you cant see visibly. In my case it was just front and rear bumper were cracked up, nothing to major. Got it for a decent price, and its just been sitting in my driveway for 2 years lol. The guy that did the repairs and paint let his rebuilders license lapse even though he promised he would help me get the rebuilt title 2 years ago when we had it fixed. He still has not renewed his license and I don't expect he ever will. It seems a lot of the Mom and Pop body shops are being bought up by the larger corporations so its much harder to find someone to help with this anymore unless you know someone.....hence my ask here.

Thread Info