A look into history of Meadowdale Raceways

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
Come hear the roar as the Meadowdale International Raceways Preservation Association presents an evening of insight into this important historical local landmark at 7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 23, at the Dundee Township Public Library, 555 Barrington Ave. in East Dundee.

Highlights will include a film of the raceway, circa early 1960s, firsthand recollections from those who were there and memorabilia. The Meadowdale International Raceways Preservation Association is dedicated to the promotion and preservation of the history, care and enjoyment of Raceway Woods, home to Meadowdale International Raceways.

The Meadowdale International Raceway was the vision of local historical figure Leonard W. Besinger. It was built in 1958 to promote growth in the Carpentersville area.

The original track was 3.27 miles long with a variety of turns and elevation changes. Its signature feature was the Monza wall, a 180-degree, steeply banked turn that led onto the 4,000-foot main straight. Today, Raceway Woods is visited by hikers, runners and folks of all ages who are looking to enjoy the outdoors.

The program is free. Space is limited, so registration is recommended. To register, visit the "Events & Registration" page at dundeelibrary.info, call (847) 428-3661, ext. 308, or stop by the Information Services desk at the library.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=402449&src=22

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
Meadowdale Motorsports & Memories Car Show

In Carpentersville at the Old Meadowdale Raceway on Rt 31 there will be a Car show.

Saturday, September 18th 10 AM — 3 PM (Rain Date 19th)

Show Car Registration 8:30-10 AM

Download the Registration Form Here!

http://carpentersvilleplayhouse.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/meadowdale-motorsports-memories-car-show/

$15.00 Per Car Registration Fee

$10.00 Pre-registration (8 am entrance)

Meet former drivers, crew, and workers. Share the history, photos, stories, and memorabilia of Meadowdale International Raceways!!!

NOTE: IMPROVED TRACK ACCESS FOR BOTH SHOW CARS AND SPECTATORS!

Show Car Entrance: Just North of the Spring Hill Mall—Rte. 31 Silo Entrance to Raceway Woods (approx.1.5mile north of Rte. 72 and ½ mile north of Huntley Rd).

Spectator Parking: Rt.31 Original Entrance to the Raceway (approx. ½ mile south of Silo Entrance-across from 140 N. Rt.31 Carpentersville)

http://carpentersvilleplayhouse.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/meadowdale-motorsports-memories-car-show/

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
It's pretty cool. I've ridden my bike there twice (they have a big hill!) and walked/explored it once. Only part of the main straight and the connection for the smaller tracks exists still but you can imagine a lot. The silo is there too. A lot of old photos and history on their site too

Too bad this is short notice.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Ive explored said race way. Pretty amazing to see how the area "grew" and think about cars racing.

DSC06746Small.jpg

DSC06750Small.jpg

DSC06752Small.jpg

958downhillnocars.jpg

569_silo_form.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Are those first 3 yours or from their site? That silo is all painted up an I don't recall there being a bridge or whatever that is. They also recently re paved the back half of the track north of the silo. The other side is still original and the west side is still gravel.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Went there today and checked the old place out, haven't been there in about 10 years. My, the place has changed a lot. More like a forest preserve than an abandoned racetrack anymore.
Figured why start another thread, so I just resurrected this one.

Was a great day for a walk in the woods. You could almost hear the old Ferrari's and Cobra's just around the corners and over the hills.:bigthumb:

Attachments

• Silo.jpg
    Silo.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Long sweeper.jpg
    Long sweeper.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 185
  • sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 232
  • Bridge 1.jpg
    Bridge 1.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 184
  • Bridge 3.jpg
    Bridge 3.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 178

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This thread makes me feel really fucking old. Eight years ago I discovered this place completely by accident and checked it out. At this time the city was going to tear down the silo and remove the remnants of the track. I think that's how I heard about it.

I set up a meet and we got one of the local guy's dad to come out and tell us about everything as he raced there when it was open. The overwhelming theme was how dangerous the track was. Someone was killed during the first race if I remember correctly. He also told us about someone who got killed because he was going into a the hairpin turnaround (Doane's corner on the map above) and I guess as he was entering it he heard the echo of the car leaving it and thought that car was headed for him. And then he crashed... and then he died. :)

Ford Taurus SHO Club of Chicago - Powered by XMB 1.9.10 Karl

The moral of the story here is that I'm old.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
it'd be sweet to see it resurrected as a bigass midget track/go cart track.

:fy:

that'd be cool as hell with the proper safety precautions in place

Have you been there before? It's multi surface...gravel, new pavement, old pavement etc. The homes directly behind it would never let that happen I'm sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info