Machine Shop to rebuild a '96 Jeep 4.0L

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
I have a '96 4.0L, the shortblock needs a rebuild, I have a rebuilt head for it already. Looking for a machine shop in the area (I live in the SW 'burbs) to drop it off at for tear down, cleaning, machine work, and then longblock assembly. So far I've only been pointed to shops that only do Ford/Chevy, so I'm looking for a shop that works with any motor or has hopefully worked on 4.0L's before (anyone in the area have a stroker built?)

Thanks!

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
It's a low miles motor that's going to be somewhat built for steet and strip. Ported head, ported intake manifold (offenhauser 4bbl carb intake), Davis Unified Ignition distributor, Crower perf. camshaft, Yella Terra roller rockers, stuff like that. I would feel a lot better having new cam bearings and main bearings installed and having the cylinders honed or bored over if necessary with new rings and oversized pistons if necessary. The motor has about 50k on it but it was driven had and has a ridge at the top of the cylinders. I would feel pretty stupid to put a nice top end on it and have an issue with the bottom end so I would rather play it safe before the motor goes into the car.

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
And you can get a "crate motor", but it costs more than a rebuild on the shortblock should cost. They announced they were offering a Mopar 4.7L stroker crate motor, but I'm not looking for a stroker. There are a lot of companies that have been building those for years for cheaper than the Mopar one. Cool idea though, for a wheelin Jeep at least.
This motor is going in my Gremlin so I won't be doing much wheeling with it :p

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
And you can get a "crate motor", but it costs more than a rebuild on the shortblock should cost. They announced they were offering a Mopar 4.7L stroker crate motor, but I'm not looking for a stroker. There are a lot of companies that have been building those for years for cheaper than the Mopar one. Cool idea though, for a wheelin Jeep at least.
This motor is going in my Gremlin so I won't be doing much wheeling with it :p

if i understand it correctly u can use an old amc 4.2L crank in ur motor to do cheap stroker motor, but as for the rebuild i have no clue, wish u luck tho. hows the gremmy comin along?

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
Yeah, that's the base of the stroker, 4.2L crank and con rods in a 4.0L block, and then usually headwork and pistons for a nice setup. I'm not looking for a stroker though, it's great for bottom end torque but the Gremlin is a street car and doesn't need to be crawling around, it does that with the stock 4.2L, smokes the tires no problem but then doesn't go anywhere.

It's going alright, got everything bought and a good amount of money saved up from my newer job. Should be more than enough for the machine work on the motor, a trans rebuild on the 904, and enough to get some good gears in the model 20 rear that I have. Then I'll start saving up for brakes and suspension, because those aren't as important :p
My latest distraction is an '88 Eagle Wagon that I bought because it was cheap and 4x4, it's a real turd on the road but it's fun on the trails, probably won't last through the winter without me breaking it on something but it will be worth it for how much fun I'm having with the thing.

Willwood is working on putting some nice disc setups into production for AMCs, along with a few other companies. I'll get whatever I can afford that will fit with 14" wheels.

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
thats good to hear, my 727 is in the tranny shop now, apparently all the clutchs and steels were fried in the thing, but older stuff is cheap, guy at the shop quoted me at $380 for everything. then im getttin a 3000 stall from tci. after all that theres a whole laundry list of other stuff to get but its finally goin somewhere so im happy. what r ur plans for axles with that model 20? im plannin on just pullin it out and puttin the gm 10 bolt i have in my garage in the pacer

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
I have the 904, a TCI full manual valve body for it that needs to be installed, ordered a Hurst V-Matic 2 floor shifter for it because I think Hurst shifters are badass and it will fit in the black center console from a Hornet that I got for it :p and I'll probably get a 2500 stall torque converter.

I'm going to see how long the Model 15 lasts behind that motor once it's all together, but the Model 20 that I have has under 30k miles on it, out of a Bricklin SV-1 that was built on the Javelin drivetrain (AMC 360, TF727, Model 20). I'm hoping to just change the ring and pinion for a different gear and put a limited slip differential in it, but I don't know squat about rear ends. If it could back a 360 or a 401, hopefully it can back a mildly built AMC 6cyl.
I'm trying to keep things AMC or AMC relative on this car. It's a Gremlin with a 6cylinder, might as well go all out AMC to have it really be an oddball. I'm starting to wish it was stick though, after driving my Scout for so long I'm addicted to driving manual.

Hopefully I'll get my stuff together and make it to a TCG meet with the Gremlin some day so I can park it next to your Pacer! Would be great to see people's faces as they walk by those two cars next to each other :D

Runtz52

Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
i wanted to keep it all amc as well, but those model 20s arent cheap to build, mine isnt posi so i would need a new carrier which is like $500, the axles on the model 20's r 2 piece axles so if u try to launch with them the hubs shear off from the shafts, the 10 bolt i have is already posi, just needs a higher gear ratio and alittle fab work to put it in, its a few inches wider so i can run wider tires. the rear end thing is more of a cost cutting measure, maybe someday ill build up the model 20 and put it back in but for now im goin the cheap route

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• TinMan
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list