VW Golf Help, anyone out there who can fix them?

Phreakazoid

Wallsticks, motherfucker
Dec 5, 2007
Hey all, been a while since I've posted but Mike (Mook) suggested I throw this up on here in case anyone on the board is savvy with, and has the tools to fix a VW Golf.

My girlfriend's Golf has been acting up recently (last few days), and she's worried like hell that it's going to be a ridiculously expensive undertaking. Mostly since nobody seems to be able to get into the transmission to diagnose/fix whatever's going on.

Here's the specs:
2000 VW Golf, 2L Automatic
Around 95,000 miles
No check engine light or any other indicators.

Symptom:
It "lurches" while shifting between 3rd and 4th gear. Everything seems to point to a transmission issue, but the mechanic she usually goes to says he can't actually get into the transmission to take a peek. Something about how he doesn't have the tools to do it or some shit, I don't really know what he means, but maybe you do.

She tried calling the dealership technicians, his first thought based on what she said is that it might be a Valve Body issue. Which, according to him will cost her upwards of $3000 to fix, if that's even the problem.

Obviously she's trying deathly hard to not have to go to the dealership and possibly get raped by the ridiculous costs they are charging. She doesn't really have $3k to just blow on this, so any help would be immensely appreciated.

My question to you guys:
Anyone on here who is able to fix something, even a transmission issue on one of these cars? If not, any ideas on who might be able to?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
how does the fluid look? is it full?
the trans is most likely going out on it. it's pretty common on VWs around that year. :hs:
im not sure exactly what goes wrong inside the transmission, mainly because i hate working on those cars.
i would suggest taking it to a trans shop and getting an estimate on a rebuilt. fuck the dealer, they will bend you over.

Phreakazoid

Wallsticks, motherfucker
Dec 5, 2007
You have a PM :)

Quick PM back to you, I may be giving you a call today good sir!

how does the fluid look? is it full?
the trans is most likely going out on it. it's pretty common on VWs around that year. :hs:
im not sure exactly what goes wrong inside the transmission, mainly because i hate working on those cars.
i would suggest taking it to a trans shop and getting an estimate on a rebuilt. fuck the dealer, they will bend you over.

She's taking it to a transmission shop today to have it looked at, hopefully they won't tell her they can't even look at it like the guy she took it to before. I can't remember the name, but it's near us in St. Charles.

They couldn't get a peek at the fluid, something about how it's a closed, no fill system or something and that there's now way to actually look at it unless you tear it all apart?

My 96 passat did that... Sell the car now while you still can!

I actually told her, depending on what these guys say today, that she may need to bring it to carmax or somewhere that'll give her a decent trade in value. Then use that money as a down payment on a new car.

*Update
Trans shop confirmed it's a valve body issue. They're going to quote her on some prices for replacement, and possibly a repair. Hopefully it's not ridiculously expensive still but I'm still pushing for her to just get a new car and be done with it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info