Flooded Cars.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
I wish I had time to explore Dekalb, especially since I live here and all... Someone at work had 1.5 feet in their house, friend in Savanna, IL her car and her dudes car under 4 ft of water and they lost everything in the house.....Only issue I had, 2 ft of water on my boat cover, and one wheel of the trailer sunk into the ground about 2 inches (other was on sidewalk just barely....

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I was in Naperville on Friday night. When I left it was clear and dry but up north I could see a amazing lightning show. I enjoyed this show going north on 355 up until about Butterfield Road. The road got a tad wet it got dark out and started raining lightly. I noticed a few people slowing down up ahead, then the next moment I went right into a huge puddle going 60mph. The truck slowed down very fast and water went over the whole truck. I couldn't see anything for a few seconds. I was lucky I didn't hit another car or construction cone. Not sure how deep this was, im going to guess almost a foot by the way the car slowed down and how the water splashed. I really don't know what would have happened if I was in my grand prix, lucky the durango is much higher off the ground and does not have a open cone air-filter ready to suck in water.Moments later it started raining HARD, the puddle was just the beginning of my hour plus 20 mph ride home. I think its safe to say that was the worst rain I have driven through. Not only did I encounter more huge puddles but at some points I couldn't see more than 20ft. Alot of people were pulled to the side of the road. It was a crazy drive.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I plowed through almost 5' of water in the truck and almost got stuck. I didn't realize it got that deep, but powered though it shooting 20' rooster tails up from the tires. It started to float in the middle and I could feel the tires spinning freely in the water. Good thing I had enough momentum to carry me to the other side. I did suck up a little water i think cause it coughed a couple times before I got out of it. Scared the shit outa me.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
It sucks to lose a car to a flood. I lost one when I lived in Houston years ago during tropical storm Allison, got the shaft from the insurance company too
Tropical Storm Allison pics

Tropical Storm Allison
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the Atlantic tropical storm of 2001. For other storms of the same name, see Tropical Storm Allison (disambiguation).
Tropical Storm Allison Tropical storm (SSHS)

Tropical Storm Allison on June 5, 2001
Formed June 4, 2001
Dissipated June 18, 2001
Highest
winds
60 mph (95 km/h) (1-minute sustained)
Lowest pressure 1000 mbar (hPa; 29.53 inHg)
Fatalities 41 direct, 14 indirect
Damage $5.5 billion (2001 USD)
$6.77 billion (2010 USD)
Areas
affected Texas (particularly around Houston), Louisiana, most of the Eastern United States
Part of the
2001 Atlantic hurricane season

Tropical Storm Allison was a tropical storm that devastated southeast Texas in June of the 2001 Atlantic hurricane season. The first storm of the season, Allison lasted unusually long for a June storm, remaining tropical or subtropical for 15 days. The storm developed from a tropical wave in the northern Gulf of Mexico on June 4, 2001, and struck the upper Texas coast shortly thereafter. It drifted northward through the state, turned back to the south, and re-entered the Gulf of Mexico. The storm continued to the east-northeast, made landfall on Louisiana, then moved across the southeast United States and Mid-Atlantic. Allison was the first storm since Tropical Storm Frances in 1998 to strike the northern Texas coastline.[1]

The storm dropped heavy rainfall along its path, peaking at over 40 inches (1,000 mm) in Texas. The worst flooding occurred in Houston, where most of Allison's damage occurred: 30,000 became homeless after the storm flooded over 70,000 houses and destroyed 2,744 homes. Downtown Houston was inundated with flooding, causing severe damage to hospitals and businesses. Twenty-three people died in Texas. Throughout its entire path, Allison caused $5.5 billion ($6.7 billion 2008 USD) in damage and 41 deaths. Aside from Texas, the places worst hit were Louisiana and southeastern Pennsylvania.

Following the storm, President George W. Bush designated 75 counties along Allison's path as disaster areas (the first time he had to do so), which enabled the citizens affected to apply for aid. Allison is the only tropical storm to have its name retired without ever having reached hurricane strength.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I was on my way to work yesterday at 630am and didnt see the lake sized puddle in front of my store until it was too late. Car stalled out and wouldn't crank after about 5 hours. Got it towed home (which is another ridiculous story) and let it sit until about 2 hours ago. Took all the plugs out and cranked it a few times, water went everywhere. Put the plugs back in, jumped it and it ran find after about 20 seconds. Oil looked alright, probably drive the car a day or two and change the oil.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
gotta love when it rains hard. i got to work today and 4 cars were towed in over the weekend. first was an 05 pacifica. the owner ran into 4ft of water and locked the engine up. pulled the upper intake and dumped a gallon of water out...lol
second was an 07 escape...same deal. snapped a rod in half and punch a hole in both sides of the block....oops.
third up was a CRV that drove into water, busted the radiator, overheated the car, and blew the head gasket.
last up was a 02 buick park ave. hydrolocked engine, pulled the plugs, blew the water out, changed the oil, and the customer drove away. :rofl:
people need to understand that their car is NOT a boat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info