Maryland judge decrees Pontiac G8 GT tail lights illegal

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
http://jalopnik.com/5589270/maryland-judge-decrees-pontiac-g8-gt-tail-lights-illegal

500x_g8_gt_tail_light.jpg

A Maryland judge issued an $85 fine to the owner of a Pontiac G8 GT for illegal tail lights, despite being factory-installed and approved by the US Department of Transportation. She's promised to keep fining him. Judicial activism, FTL!

Forum member "jackalope" at G8Board.com was ticketed by a Maryland officer who claimed he was sporting illegal tail lights. After amassing a healthy amount of evidence proving he hadn't modified his car and it was approved for sale by the Department of Transportation, he went to court confident the ticket would be dismissed, only to find the contrary. We'll let him tell you how it all went down:

"Went to court for my clear tail lights on my car and was found guilty!

The judge actualy told me she didn't care what the manufacturer said, what the federal govt said, what the DOT # stamped onto my taillights said if the officer says my lights aren't legal then they're not legal. I took the G8 sales brochure in along with pics of my car and other G8 GT's and the VIN trace by 3 different dealers saying my lights were factory none of it mattered she found me guilty of failing to display or reflect red light on the rear of the car. Didn't matter the reflecters were in the bumper, didn't matter where the light is has that little red circle, the whole lens isn't red so they're not legal. Also where the back-up and turn signals are should be the reflectors according to the cop so the V6 cars lights aren't legal either.

Judge stupid went on to tell me that maybe I should consider trading in or selling the car since its not legal in MD and that I'm going to continue to get the $60 tickets till I get rid of the car.

So I contacted Pontiac's 1-800 # and I have an apt next friday to have my car looked at by them and see if they can help or at least repay me the $85.50 fine and court costs.

I honestly don't know what else I can do. The cop was ALL smiles afterwards and winked at me! WTF! Now I'm screwed! How do I go to work now? I drive right thru where he works!! So this ass nuget can make up **** randomly for any car he gets a hard on for and nothing can be done to fight it!

This is BS."

The problem centers around the clear lens tail lights and bumper-mounted reflectors of the Pontiac G8 GT model. Because the red area in the lenses is reduced in the G8 GT, there are reflectors mounted in the bumper to reflect additional light and bring the reflective requirements into spec. Th officer and by extension the judge considered them illegal.

Now, we can understand Mr. Jackalope's momentary lack of respect for the legal system above — this is B.S., but he's got legitimate cause to be pissed. He bought a car he assumed to fall within the operations laws of all states and which was in reality approved for nationwide sale by the government. According to the Judge, the opinion of an Officer of the Law supersedes what the Federal government approved for sale and the design somehow doesn't jive with what the State of Maryland considers legal.

One of the other forum members has offered up legal service to fight the fine, but it makes us wonder if all the G8 GT drivers in Maryland now have something to worry about. Should motorists who've bought a car approved by the Federal government be worried about being arbitrarily fined by a Judge who seems to side with the opinion of an officer over the law. [G8Board thread]

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
I personally like the base model lights better anyways.

Me, too, but on a silver car (like the one pictured) I think the darker housing looks a little better. I've been torn on whether or not to pick up a set of the V6's.

Either way, as you all mentioned, if the stock lights were unmodified then it's total bullshit to get ticketed; considering that the federal government has already deemed them to be 100% legal. That being said, I told a state trooper here in MO. about that and he said he'd definitely use those lights as a reason to pull someone over without thinking twice. Even after I explained that they're completely stock, DOT approved, yada yada yada. Douchebag.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Not buying it. I want to know 'the REST of the story'.

Something doesn't add up.

Agree. With proper documentation like he said he had (sales brochure, GM/Pontiac literature, DOT info, Federal law, etc.) The judge should have dismissed it.

There has to be some other reason. Like maybe the ticket was for the tinted lights and he swapped them to stock and tried to pull a fast one on the Judge?? If that is the case and the Police Officer said he had on different lights before, The Judge would then believe the officer and then get mad at the defendent for trying to scam out of a fine.

If there isn't then he should get a good lawyer and take it up to the next higher level of court.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
According to the Judge, the opinion of an Officer of the Law supersedes what the Federal government approved for sale and the design somehow doesn't jive with what the State of Maryland considers legal.

The Judge should be thrown in jail for wasting taxpayer money. Did this judge get his law degree from the University of Phoenix?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
This is worse then the Chicago tint laws.

Apparently the FEDERAL govt is wrong....but Barney fuckin' fife knows what's right and wrong :picard:

It's definitely a Mayor Daley type mentality. In the end, the taxpayers get screwed because the city has to defend these stupid suits in court.

A judges duty is to interpret the law. A police officers duty is to enforce the laws that are written by legislators. Clearly they do not understand how our form of Gov't works.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info