Franklin Park Red light cameras!

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Just drove through Franklin Park this morning and there are a ton of new red light cameras going up. Seriously, almost every intersection with a traffic light had a camera installed.

Also, it may be an illusion but the traffic lights are not in sync anymore.

This is bullcrap. For a longtime there was camera constantly going off on Grand and Desplains (sp?) River rd. I wonder if the real purpose here is to make money.

Nick

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Just drove through Franklin Park this morning and there are a ton of new red light cameras going up. Seriously, almost every intersection with a traffic light had a camera installed.

Also, it may be an illusion but the traffic lights are not in sync anymore.

This is bullcrap. For a longtime there was camera constantly going off on Grand and Desplains (sp?) River rd. I wonder if the real purpose here is to make money.

Nick

Umm.... Duh? :rofl:

Statistically there has been little/no impact in reducing accidents for many of the cameras in my area. They are just cash cows for out of towners... (I forgot where I found that, but again, this is for my area, so I dunno if it really does help other areas).

On this note, This is why I hate cameras the most, not because of the tickets, because I KNOW which ones have cameras, so I never run yellows at those, but because people who aren't from your town, or our state, are getting penalized for essentially 'not paying attention' or being a bit absent minded, which happens to me frequently when I'm out of my area................

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
yeah you are right. It is for money, i was trying to find a nice way to put it. Anyway there is going to be more traffic, bumper to bumper, and that bothers me the most. Now i have to find a way to keep my commute short. Basically, this is going to hurt my commute unless other commuters bail on this route.

99PONTIACGP

TCG Elite Member
Oct 3, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
Mike
Dude, theyre everywhere. Theres no way your going to get around it. Im just used to checking every intersection before I cross it for the red light cameras. Id rather be safe than sorry. Be thankful some of them have the countdown to red. I usually start stopping before it even turns yellow.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Dude, theyre everywhere. Theres no way your going to get around it. Im just used to checking every intersection before I cross it for the red light cameras. Id rather be safe than sorry. Be thankful some of them have the countdown to red. I usually start stopping before it even turns yellow.

I definitely find myself burying the throttle through green lights more often in fear of them turning yellow...

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Yellow makes me stop unless my front tires are across the line or my car is in the intersection. I never stop on green.

If possible i use the standard size left turning lane to gauge if i am going to make it or not.

If i am next to the left turning lane and its green than i now 100% that i am going to make it.

If i am next to the left turning lane and its yellow than i either stop or keep going depending on how deep i am. This is mostly because there are fast yellows out there.

Used to be if it was Yellow and my car is next to the left turning lane then i am going to make it.

Does that makes sense? This method has kept me from running red lights for a long time.

P.S. under no circumstances do i hit the brake when its green, i dont want to get rear ended.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
So lemme get this straight. The rules are:

If you cross into the intersection while the light is red you get pinched.

If the light is/turns yellow when you cross you won't get pinched. Even if the light turns red and you are in the intersection?

Correct. you can argue that you were already in the intersection before the light turned red. Obviously, it does not help if you were speeding through.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
It only gets you if the light is red but Id rather not take the chance and I just stop on yellow.

This is also a valid approach. Towns that are new to red light cameras will hit you up for $$$ no matter what you did to trigger the camera. On the other hand red light cameras are getting smarter too so they dont take wasteful shots or videos.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Red light cameras are only suppose to give you a violation if your vehicle is before the halfway point of the intersection when the light turns red. Although the actual law is if both front and rear tires are past the stop line before it turns red, you are legally in the intersection and are allowed to keep going.

For right turns on red the law is the speedometer is suppose to be at "0" mph (complete stop) before you make your turn. On typical vehicles this takes about 1 second. The camera's take 1.5 seconds between pictures. If your vehicle is in the same location (stopped for 1.5 seconds or more,) for 2 pictures you should not get a ticket. Some of the newer ones use video as well. Of course you can technically make a legal stop and still get a ticket because the camera is a little slow.

The biggest problem is that the RLC's are monitored by a third party company. They get a percentage of the violation fee. They send the violations to the village and they in turn send them to you. Of course after the RLC's have been at an intersection for some time, many folks know it's there and pay more attention. The violations drop and so does the money. The third party companies then send in questionable violations to keep the money flowing. The RLC companies tried setting a set fee for the villages, but many villages refused due to the less violations= less money. Schaumburg actually cancelled their contract with a RLC company and thus has none. Rumor is that Cook County was going to take over some of the suburban RLC's and place new ones. Problem is some villages are fighting it because the county wants to charge the village a fee for them.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Red light cameras are only suppose to give you a violation if your vehicle is before the halfway point of the intersection when the light turns red. Although the actual law is if both front and rear tires are past the stop line before it turns red, you are legally in the intersection and are allowed to keep going.

is this new? My information was an update that i got from a driving course i had to attend. The front tires over the line makes sense to me a little more because if you are making left it will not catch you.

A lot of people were getting tickets for left turns even though the law allows you to complete the left turn when the light turns red when the cameras first went in.

In other words, this info sounds old.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
is this new? My information was an update that i got from a driving course i had to attend. The front tires over the line makes sense to me a little more because if you are making left it will not catch you.

A lot of people were getting tickets for left turns even though the law allows you to complete the left turn when the light turns red when the cameras first went in.

In other words, this info sounds old.

The above is for going straight thru the intersection (moving).
Turns are slightly different.
The reason is as in left turns, the vehicle is usually stopped with a portion of the vehicle in the intersection. So the vehicle is considered legally in the intersection awaiting for oncoming traffic to clear and the turn can be completed.

With right turns, the vehicle needs to make a complete stop before proceeding.

Smoke

Addict
Feb 11, 2009
I remember how I got nailed once when a CTA accordion bus took its sweet time turning left. I was behind the bus , the light was green, and as soon as the bus made the turn the light went green>yellow>red in .2 seconds with my ass still in the intersection.

*flash*

Mother#$@%&#.

Funny post-script is that I spent the next month in paranoia checking the mail for a ticket, and I never got one. :hsughno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info