injector questions

Wolfman

TCG Elite Member
Jul 6, 2010
Evans Mills, New York
looking for opinions on guys with BIG high impedence (saturated) or BIG low imedence(peak and hold) injectors. i'm seriously considering an E85 conversion since i need to do a fuel system right now anyway.

i'm pretty much looking at Injector Driver 2000cc high impedence injectors or an aftermarket injector driver and some low impedence 120 lb/hr injectors. idle quality and drivability are important. this will still be a street car

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
the problems I've seen with big injectors is low RPM drivability. Many PCMs or even stand-alone controllers struggle to command pulse widths that are low enough to achieve something close to a stoich mixture when RPMs are low, and engine airflow is minimal. I noted that on my car when I returned everything else engine wise back to stock, and still had 62 lb/hr injectors on there. Pulse widths were at their minimum commanded level, and it was struggling not to go rich. I'd imagine on a 120 lb/hr injector, it could be a much bigger deal, but who knows.

It does seem that when most people eclipse the 100 lb/hr mark, they tend towards a set of low impedance injectors, with a low-z driver to go with. Thankfully I was never serious enough to need to deal with that problem.

Wolfman

TCG Elite Member
Jul 6, 2010
Evans Mills, New York
the problems I've seen with big injectors is low RPM drivability. Many PCMs or even stand-alone controllers struggle to command pulse widths that are low enough to achieve something close to a stoich mixture when RPMs are low, and engine airflow is minimal. I noted that on my car when I returned everything else engine wise back to stock, and still had 62 lb/hr injectors on there. Pulse widths were at their minimum commanded level, and it was struggling not to go rich. I'd imagine on a 120 lb/hr injector, it could be a much bigger deal, but who knows.

It does seem that when most people eclipse the 100 lb/hr mark, they tend towards a set of low impedance injectors, with a low-z driver to go with. Thankfully I was never serious enough to need to deal with that problem.

i just realized how much of an idiot i am. big injectors will work better with E85 than with gas because stoich is 9.765:1 not 14.7:1 like gasoline.

sorry guys, i was half asleep when i posted this. haha

Wolfman

TCG Elite Member
Jul 6, 2010
Evans Mills, New York
Look into id 1000's or their 2200. They cost money but u cant go wrong with them. They love fuel pressure. You can run 100+ base and still throw boost at them.

the 1000's are too small. i'll probably have to go with the 2000/2200 if i stay high impedence. @ $250 a piece, i think a driver and low impedence is the way to go for me

Wolfman

TCG Elite Member
Jul 6, 2010
Evans Mills, New York
Which brand injectors were you looking at getting?
If your looking for a deal on a the AEM injector driver we sell them for $270 shipped to your door.

yeah, thats the driver i was looking at. do you guys have the direct connect harness also?

im not to good with the v8 inj sizing, what size are you looking at getting? the id1000 with 100 psi works out to around 1300cc inj at 14v. The only down side to running that high of fuel pressure is getting the pumps to keep up.

stock fuel pressure for me is 58 PSI (4 bar). i don't think i will get anywhere near 100 PSI even with a boost-a-pump.

running E85 requires about 30% more fuel than a gasoline engine. if i run gas, i'll need around 88 lb/hr injectors and they will be maxed out. 1000cc is 95 lb/hr. 1300cc is about 124 lb/hr.

ID1000 injectors at 100 PSI fuel pressure would be damn near 80% duty cycle on an E85 engine making 1000 at the crank (which is what i'm shooting for). while that is acceptable, it leaves no room to grow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info