Interested in getting my license/starter bike

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm sure I could google both, but:

Where/when are the classes where you can just pay $40 or w/e to learn with provided bikes etc.

What would you recommend for a used starter bike? what would you look for/avoid when shopping for a first/starter bike, How old is too old, and how many miles is too many etc?

Spent the weekend tearing around on an 250cc Quad and it reminded me how much I'd like to have a bike. It'd also be nice for parking since they get priority parking at train stations.....

*edit*

On this same topic, Ninja's seem to be the more common find for a 250cc 'starter' bike, any resources for those anyone would recommend?

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
What kind of bike/riding are you looking to do to start?!

Check out NIU classes.....They are free, and accept donations....They are prob all filled up but you can go and try to get in on the class as a stand in, for the no shows....

You just need to wear boths and bring gloves and something to eat and drink....They supply the bikes and helmets if you dont have a lid....

Fri is class day, sat is class and ride, and sunday is written test, and riding test

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
What kind of bike/riding are you looking to do to start?!

Check out NIU classes.....They are free, and accept donations....They are prob all filled up but you can go and try to get in on the class as a stand in, for the no shows....

You just need to wear boths and bring gloves and something to eat and drink....They supply the bikes and helmets if you dont have a lid....

Fri is class day, sat is class and ride, and sunday is written test, and riding test

I was thinking of getting something along the lines of a 250 or a 400 just for 'puttering around' on. Riding on ATV's this weekend reminded me how amazing 'open air' riding feels, so it'd be nice for just cruising/commuting. I don't like Harleys/cruser bikes, I'd want something like I mentioned earlier such as a Ninja/sportier bike

What do you mean 'wear boths' :(

When I learned to ride I just wore my hiking boots. Did one of the IL Motorcycle Rider Program things. Haven't had the money to get a bike yet, but when I do I will be able to ride one.

http://www.mrp.uiuc.edu/selectCourse.asp There are plenty of standby slots open (if a person who had a spot doesn't show you take their place). There are only a few open confirmed spots left. Best time to get a spot is February, when they release the calendar for that season.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
Sport bikes are the hotness but the newer and larger they get, the harder they are to manuver in tight areas and visibility is hindered by the riding stance. (Hunched over the tank.) They can be the most fun to ride but the most dangerous to start on.

As Riski said, a 500cc sized bike will get you enough power to go somewhere but not get you into trouble. Consider a bike with a more upright riding stance, perhaps an older "Muscle" type bike like an early 80's KZ750 or CB750 Sport. They are larger motors yet smaller frame bikes that have decent power and great manuverability in city traffic. They are also cheaper and classic; it would be like driving a late 60's muscle car...but for bikes.

Another option could be to go with a dual-sport bike, something you can go off-road with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info