WRX launch technique question

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well, I have been trying to launch this this well without dumping the clutch...but I suck. I can't find the happy medium, maybe I am at the wrong rpm. I have been trying from 4grand.

What is a good rpm to launch at? What is a good repetetive way to launch on these? I have been spoiled with the auto. If I could launch this beast consistently quick, it would be a lot more fun with this awd.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
A) You don't want to launch the crap out of your car all the time, the X-fer case/Diffs will not be happy with you, and will break/slip/etc.

B) You warranty will not cover when something like that breaks through abuse as it is usually very obvious when it is abuse

C) Get better at driving every day before you try to go all Gung-Ho about it, you should really not be abusing the crap outa the car since it is new, and the clutch as such is new also

D) After everything is broken in, 6500RPM and Dump the clutch, you try to balance it, you will probably just end up melting the clutch.

E) I have only owned like 2 AWD Vehicles, neither were fast, but that seems to be the 'fast' way to launch them...

KaMaSuTrA

Resident Sexi Man
Aug 22, 2008
Chicago IL
I think 6500 rpm would be a bit high for a WRX, I'd say try 5000 and find the slip point. You can either bump the throttle to that rpm and slip for a hard launch or maintain the rpm through progressive acceleration and dump it. If it launches better than expected you can experiment with higher rpm till you find the appropriate launch rpm.

Another way to lessen the shock of the launch is to pull the ebrake ever so slightly while reaching the slip point. This compresses the rear of the car and when the car is about to launch and makes the launch more precise.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Thanks guys, I try to take it easy on her 90% of the time....but I bought this car for the fun and performance too, so I am trying to find the safest way to drive it. I don't launch it at all, was just trying to the other day. I usually do a 3k rpm roll and when the car goes into gear I get on it. Turbo lag this way, but once she gets back above 3k ish it is fun

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info