Help on a trans swap next week?

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Trans and header install fun!

Well, my trucks trans is definitely on its last leg. Like I posted in my other thread, it went to downshift to 2nd and went nowhere and then hit the rev limiter. Im ordering a FLT Stage 3 for it cause I figure why put stock junk back in if we have to replace it anyway. btw its an 02 1500 4wd.

Does anyone have a trans jack we can use like maybe weds or thurs next week?

Is anyone available to help that has some experience with these trucks, trans', or swaps in general?

Are there any special tools I might need?

Last edited:

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
no lie...best thing you can ever have for ANY trans swap...is the tailshaft plug. nothin like quarts upon quarts of burnt trans fluid in your hair for a week to make you hate workin on cars.

i don't think it should be too hard...getting the trans otta my old sixer was a bitch and a half but thats an fbody...the top bolt was impossible to get to.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Don't follow the procedure!!! It will take u hours!!!! I was an appr****** for about a year with a transmission tech at my dealership, working together we could easily pull a 4wd truck trans in under an hour.... Exhaust y-pipe, driveshafts, crossmember, transfer case, loosen but dont remove starter (to access the converter bolts), lines and bellhousing bolts and u are done! Also plan on buying a new gasket for trans to transfer case

stangchic

Regular
Jul 17, 2009
we just did the trans in my car in may. it sucked if it is anything like the camaros you need like 3-4 feet of extentions! (and no im not kidding). and be careful with the front pump when putting it back in! make sure the tourque converter and flex plate have the right amount of space between them!

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Don't follow the procedure!!! It will take u hours!!!! I was an appr****** for about a year with a transmission tech at my dealership, working together we could easily pull a 4wd truck trans in under an hour.... Exhaust y-pipe, driveshafts, crossmember, transfer case, loosen but dont remove starter (to access the converter bolts), lines and bellhousing bolts and u are done! Also plan on buying a new gasket for trans to transfer case

yep, this ^ its easier than you think, just a heavy pain with the t-case connected

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info