I am the Luckiest DSMer Ever

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Saturday was a regular day, drove to a friend's house and hung out there basically all day and came home that night. The car is 100% fine.

Sunday, I didn't go anywhere.

Monday, I head out to work. Just leaving my neighborhood, I hear an odd rattling sound. Very similar to a heat shield vibrating on something. I was planning to do a few logs and tweak some timing, so I had my laptop with and everything. This rattle only seems to happen at ~3000 rpm. I decide not to beat on the car till I figure this out. Leaving work, I still have this same rattle but at the same time there seems to be this new vibration all the time. I feel it in the wheel when turning, in the gas pedal. I don't think too much of it. Pulling into my garage I hear the rattle at idle. I get out and it turns out my headlight is moving around a bit and making noise on the fender, which explains why it sounded like a heat shield. I am worry free now.

Tuesday, I'm leaving for work and running a bit late. I start the car, only to hear this awful screech and other odd sounds. It only happens for a second and the car then cold idles fine. I open the hood, checking out the belts and everything. It all looks fine. Go back to the driver seat and check oil pressure, etc. It all looks normal. I go back to the engine and finally see this, sticking out from my timing gears.

IMG00130-20100622-0806.jpg

IMG00132-20100622-0806.jpg

Yes, that is a balance shaft belt, missing half its teeth. So at some point on monday I striped the teeth off the belt, yet it stayed put which explains the new and slight vibration I was getting. I then drove 15 miles home while the belt got super heated. It then finally broke on startup Tuesday morning and I got so lucky that it just came up. I don't run an upper timing cover and I found it sticking out by the intake cam side. Had I had a cover on, it would have almost certainly got tangled and ruined my motor. That all happened this morning, where I then drove 15 miles to work with no problems.

Once again, this car surprises me. It has never broken down or left me stranded. It sure does like to pull shit like this though.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
For those of you that don't know, Balance shafts are 2 little cam shaft looking things that are towards the bottom of the block. They spin opposite of the crankshaft and at 2x engine speed. This is to reduce engine vibrations. One is belt driven, the other is gear driven off the oil pump.

They are regularly removed because when the break they get caught in the timing belt and cause it to skip teeth. Since the 4G63 is an interference motor, that results in 16 bent valves and piston damage.

I got retarded lucky to not have any of that happen.

Here's a picture. My belt left it's home from the bottom left of the block, and ended up coming out the top right by the timing gear without getting caught in anything.
Tbelt5.jpg

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Oh so just the balance shaft belt. Didn't realize it was 2 seperate ones.

Only thing I would worry about is if that belt broke...how good of condition is the timing belt in?

The timing belt was replaced just before I bought the car, so it's only got around 40k on it. It looks like the BS belt wasn't replaced when the timing belt was done.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
what color is the smoke

Hard to tell, my windows are tinted. It's either white or slightly blue. I guess I should have someone drive behind me and get a whiff of it.

Is your catch can working?

Technically, no. With the new intake I don't have a port anywhere until I buy a nipple that I can put into a coupler. Right now one end just dangles.

Hubbard 0

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I had a 92 laser, 20g, FMIC, 3" exhaust, 20lbs of boost, ect. Car has over 220,000 miles on it and ran like a top. I loved driving it around, I would love to build one to road race.

I love this car, but it seems like I'm fighting it constantly. I'd really love to start with a mint and clean 99 GSX and put my current stuff on that. This thing still needs wheels, tires, bushings, and it's starting to rust.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
A constant flow of oil sounds like a PCV problem IMO, or your motor is junk lol.

As for your idea of starting with a clean GSX, that's my dream right there. 99 white GSX, and just go nuts on it. Build a really nice turbo kit, spend BIG money on suspension, keep it safe and reliable (for a dsm at least) and perfection. I've always wanted a 99GSX, if i got enough money for my cars i would buy one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info