torque converter bye bye

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well the trans shop called. Like I thought the torque converter is blown up. So I am in the market for a new one here. Should buy me enough time to wait for the 2011wrx release. I would like to get a nice trannyman TC, but time and money is a factor. I am going to zzp because this is my fourth ATI failure...fuckin cocksuckers.

I think I am going to stick with the 3500 stall as well in hopes this will last long enough to see a turbo down the road. Anyone have any suggestions on if I should throw a lower stall speed in there?

stangchic

Regular
Jul 17, 2009
Well the trans shop called. Like I thought the torque converter is blown up. So I am in the market for a new one here. Should buy me enough time to wait for the 2011wrx release. I would like to get a nice trannyman TC, but time and money is a factor. I am going to zzp because this is my fourth ATI failure...fuckin cocksuckers.

I think I am going to stick with the 3500 stall as well in hopes this will last long enough to see a turbo down the road. Anyone have any suggestions on if I should throw a lower stall speed in there?

i got a monster TQ converter with 2800 stall and its working out real nice. but it took like 2 days to get it and it was like 500 dollars. with 3 year warranty http://racetransmissions.com/store/index.php/cPath/21

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL

whats your car weigh? what RPM are you shifting at?
From what I see in your sig, with your m90 setup or converting over to a turbo, there is almost no need for anything higher then a 3200 stall on the street or track. A 2750-3k would be ideal IMO.

Precision Industries TCs are worth the wait. But its understandable if you cant have the down time.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Yeah, I hear you man. I am pretty nervous about it. I only trust wilkersons auto with my car...other than my maf issue last time, they have been reliable.

They suggested this trans shop and they sem to know the 4t65e really well. The main guy chuck automatically said the trans number and that is was hd whenever I told them what motor I had in my car. They have a dissected model of the same trans in their waiting room. They also had a 00+ impala police car in there which has the same trans...so someone has to rust them enough. I will have to check out the irwin/dunbar shop here if this doesn't go well.

At least chuck was nice enough to look thru everything and notice the od clutches were toast. They called and told me what was wrong, which was exactly what I was thinkin so a combo of all of these things put my mind to ease...we will see when I get my ride back.

I always do the wot test after shops work on my car...might as well see if it works

oh boy....local springfield trans shops + 3800 making any power = endless suffering...

Only shop I've heard anything good about is Irwin/Dunbar. Too many shady ass shops in springpatch.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If the clutches are the only thing burnt out and this is the 4th time it's happened then they need to look at the transmission for the cause of the failure and not the converter.

The ATI's are generally fine. It's been years since we've needed to worry about converters on these cars. There's quite a few proven solutions out there, ATI being one of them.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I hear you...I don't know what to check out though. Internals are good so maybe shift points, tcc or trans tables?

You think the pcm trans file could be the issue? I am going to post up the hpt file tomorrow hopefully when I get my car back....if anyone knows what these trans files should look like please chime in and tell me what's up. Thanks for the help

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Well the crappy thing is that the car is apart so you can't scan to see what TCC slip is but bar none, if you're going on your 5th converter, the converter isn't the problem and you'll likely be going on your 6th converter soon after.

Does this car have stock gears? Where the sonnax updates performed with the rebuild (assuming it was rebuilt)? That clutch should last north of 100,000 miles.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well that is a really good question...I will have to post up my tune here tomorrow. I am sure they are....but the only tuning I have done is some maf tuning, fans, and then recently changing the tcc tables to not hit OD until after 65ish. The trans tune has been how it is now from the start, so that would make sense. I need to find someone to comb through my trans tables and make sure everythng is good. Thanks for the help Mike.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
to be fair, most of the bad-news stories I had heard were years ago, before most trans shops would have had countless 4t65s through their doors to play with. Thinking about it now, you can probably trust most places, at least to replace some clutches and a converter...and it sounds as if this isn't their first rodeo, as far as the 4t65 is concerned

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Well that is a really good question...I will have to post up my tune here tomorrow. I am sure they are....but the only tuning I have done is some maf tuning, fans, and then recently changing the tcc tables to not hit OD until after 65ish. The trans tune has been how it is now from the start, so that would make sense. I need to find someone to comb through my trans tables and make sure everythng is good. Thanks for the help Mike.

I feel that you have the tq converter not locking enough, 65mph is wayy too late IMO. If i had 3.69's i would actually lock it sooner than stock since there's much more "mechanical advantage" with the higher gear ratio. My example, at 45mph my stock car locks the verter in 4th at ~1300rpm vs your car probably at 1800rpm, which would give you much more low end tq than me.. IDK, but not locking it would burn it up AFAIK. Your gear ratio in the trans is ok cause the car shifts perfectly at WOT, so that can't be your prob ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info