Ever notice stores don't carry shit anymore?

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
I know I'm not the exception...but it seems if I need a tool for this or that...no store ever carries it...and I HAVE to order it.

I just got back from looking for a tap. Went to Home Depot...looked over the tool section twice, then by hardware, went back to tools. They had 2 induvidual taps, and 2 sets, none of which were the size I needed.

Went to Lowes, on a 1/4 of an endcap was their entire tap selection, 6 SAE taps, no Metric (only in kits), 2 styles of kits...neither had my size.

Went to Sears, about a dozen SAE taps...again metric only in kits...and again none in my size.

This crap seems to happen everytime I go out...why bother? I would like that hour of my life back.

I gave up on Radio Shack for electronic parts already (either it's the cheapest of the cheap junk, or they don't have it), and all the good independant tool stores are gone.

I truly understand stores are streamlining to try and only sell the very most profitable/in-demand items...but all these stores ALL carry the same stuff. It's impossible without the internet now.

Got the tap at Enco supply...cost $3.32 + $4.00 shipping. Now I hope to get it this week.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
digikey.com for electronic crap...

I use digi-key and Mouser...although ordering from them is like getting a root-canal. Sit down with a schematic to place an order, and you'll know what I'm talking about! However, they both bag and label every piece you order, so it makes putting projects together really easy. I oredered from a few places that don't do this, and the money savings isn't wrth the time.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Let me help you out.

www.mcmaster.com

If I order early in the day from work I get it delivered later in the day. And you can pick up from them in Elmhurst. They are a industrial supply with a big inventory.

hrm..never heard of them...lol

The same tap at McMaster costs triple what I get it from Enco for. I use McMaster for hardware stuff and prototyping, but they are hella expensive. They are a great company, easy, easy to work with and have everything.

But again, if you need machine tool type stuff, Enco is the way to go.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
ace hardware sells individual taps and dies.

I'll have to check them out next time, the only problem with Ace for me is the distance. Technically, there is one about 2-3 miles from me...but it's across I-55. Weber is the only road without construction going N/S across 55, so the traffic is really bad. I sat for 40 minutes just to cross the highway last week on a Thursday afternoon!

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Ace Hardware usually has better selection of different individual tools than the larger stores. Also Home Depot and Lowe's use the same distributors so their tools are the same (brand names change for the company, but the tools are the exact same) Menards has different suppliers so sometimes you can find off-size tools at Menards.

NAPA usually has individual taps as well.

I do agree that stores do not carry much in specialty tools. Sears has been a dissappointment for about the last 10 years as they have decreased the amount of selection they carry in stores.

Harbor Frieght is another good place to get tools at low prices as well.
http://www.harborfreight.com/

93R-Code

The Ace by me that had been in business for almost 50 years recently closed. They had a great selection of fasteners and hardware and very helpful staff. And best part, it was in walking distance.

Now all I'm left with that is nearby is Home Depot which is only good for large items and their service sucks. :mad:

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

showImage.ex

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info