Engine Rebuilding: Anyone willing to teach?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Going to start rebuilding my spare 5.0... budget finally allows a mild build, so Cam/lifters/pushrods/Aluminum Heads/TQMonster headers, and Spray (Spray will be on the current setup by the end of the month)

I have multiple friends who've offered to come do the OEM Short block rebuild with/for me so I can learn how... but noone has come through due to other obligations... you know, Having a life :bowrofl:. Anyone have some free time this week after 6:30PM that wants to start tearing down a 5.0? Garage is cleaned, I have a good assortment of tools EXCEPT Engine rebuilding specific tools (No hone, no variable speed drill or w/e its called, and no Ring compressor)

I'd really appreciate anyone willing to edumicate me, and would obviously pay for beer/food/etc? I'd rather not pay a shop to do it, as I've turned nearly every bolt on my entire truck top to bottom now, and would like to learn how to rebuild this engine.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Lucky for you there's this cool place called the internet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0912656891/?tag=tcg21-20

Buy it. :D

I'm a hands-on learner.... Most of the people on the boards who know me personally know that 'once I've seen it done, or done it once, I'm good'

I would almost consider buying one of those DVD's that show it done, but again, I'd rather just have someone knowlegable :hs:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Machine work MUST be done @ a shop. I wouldn't take a hone to any engine you're building, unless maybe its in your lawnmower...

Not boring it out, I've been told to just re-hone it you just need a variable speed drill and the honing blocks/thingy...? If it has to be done by a shop, fuck it all and I'll have them do it I guess.....

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Honing is hard to do properly, when you're talking about removing .003" uniformly in each bore. If its a fairly fresh shortblock, it may not even require honing. Past that, possibly milling your heads down a tad and reinstalling new cam bearings... you should be good to go if your block is decent.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I'm a hands-on learner.... Most of the people on the boards who know me personally know that 'once I've seen it done, or done it once, I'm good'

I would almost consider buying one of those DVD's that show it done, but again, I'd rather just have someone knowlegable :hs:

Best way to learn is to teach yourself while actually doing what you're trying to learn. Buy a book. It's cheap and it'll have answers to 95% of your questions. The other 5% you'll be able to solve by asking Q's on the boards. :D

Just my $.02

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Honing is hard to do properly, when you're talking about removing .003" uniformly in each bore. If its a fairly fresh shortblock, it may not even require honing. Past that, possibly milling your heads down a tad and reinstalling new cam bearings... you should be good to go if your block is decent.

I don't think it needs any physical amount honed out... not sure if I'm describing it correctly...

Nothing is wrong with the motor, just has a spec of rust developing in along the walls from sitting. Rebuild kit is OEM as its never been touched previous, so it was to manily get a good cross-hash? is this the right train of thought here? It doesn't need physical material removed IIRC?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I think he's refering to putting a cross hatch on the cylinder walls. IMO if the factory cross hatch pattern isn't visible then it probably needs an over bore due to wear. About the most you'd be able to safely do in a basic garage is assembly; ie bearings, crank, rods/pistons, heads etc. Anywhere that metal needs to be removed should be left to a machine shop.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Dasfinc
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list