Your first bike and other bikes

POS Neon

Wang So Hard You Get Heart Mumer
May 10, 2009
NorthLake
So I been looking around trying to find a beginner bike that would be cheap and fun and shit but I am stuck in a dilemma. I don't know what type of bike to get. I have many friends all from different crowds and this causes a dilemma. I have friends that are into crotch rockets and I also have friends into harley/sportsters. I don't know what to get! I don't wanna look like a noob on a bobber riding with rocket junkies. But anyways thats besides the fact for this thread.

Main reason for this thread: your first bike and why. What helped/influenced you in choosing your first bike and any other bike you've own/owned.

That is all.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
A good crossover bike would be a Suzuki SV650.

It's more upright than a sportbike, but handles well. It's a twin, so no bumblebee buzzing...it's faster than most Harleys...and will corner and outbreak them.

It's a great starter bike you can hang with and not too expensive. When you learn the bike, it's a great stepping stone into getting what bike you really want.

If you need to get your M lisence still, you can still use it for the test. Most sportbikes are near impossible to pass on because of the way the test is set-up (I had to take mine on an enduro)
http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/images/2004SV650.jpg

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
A good crossover bike would be a Suzuki SV650.

It's more upright than a sportbike, but handles well. It's a twin, so no bumblebee buzzing...it's faster than most Harleys...and will corner and outbreak them.

It's a great starter bike you can hang with and not too expensive. When you learn the bike, it's a great stepping stone into getting what bike you really want.

If you need to get your M lisence still, you can still use it for the test. Most sportbikes are near impossible to pass on because of the way the test is set-up (I had to take mine on an enduro)
http://www.suzuki-bikes.com/images/2004SV650.jpg
A friend commuted on his from valpo to Addison almost everyday. He said it was comfortable for long trips but he said it wasn't very quick at all. Had trouble
keeping up with most bikes. Ride position is nice though. Looks funny without fairings....

well I rode OP for a while and am about to buy a relic. 78 honda CN750. Needs work. I feel you can go new but if your gonna get somehting used. Make sure you love what you r getting into. The first thing I plan on doing with mine is stripping it. I love that old school english cafe look. I love getting my hands dirty now and I know that will end up being a mess. But if you are looking for something, anything make sure that it is something you really want. You can start small and go to a larger bike later but the think is. you have to enjoy the ride and be aware of the potential hazard. Basically every old lady driving her Merc and can not see over the dash.

My best to you.

Good Luck

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel

Sensible...

Learn to lean if you want to keep up, speed later. The SV is a great handling bike that a novice rider can learn quick and get confidence on. It took me a good 2 seasons to really know my way around a corner, because I made up for it with the happy handle. I learned my lesson, and take it for what it's worth, trying the spare the OP that particular waste of time.

Cornering is WAY more fun than acelerating.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
To get back on topic......My first bike was an 80's Kawasaki 250 enduro. :dunno:

My first was a '95 750 Katana...sold it within 6 months and picked up the fastest production bike available at that time ('98 ZX9R). It was the first bike in stock form to be magazine tested to run '9s...helps when Ricky Gadsen does the testing...lol

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'll disagree with Ron here... I've found the SV to be uncomfortable and awkward to ride. It's also painfully slow though it does have gobs of torque off the line. Unfortunately it doesn't have many advantages beyond that.

My first was a 1980 CB 750SS. It was a fun bike and I should have kept it.

My 2nd and 3rd bikes were Katanas. IMO, the Katana is the perfect mix of tourer and crotch rocket. It has plenty of power, handles decently and looks sporty. You can crouch down on it or you can sit almost completely upright. The geometry of the bike doesn't really force you into any one position. For a first bike I'd do a Katana over again. You can pick them up cheap too.

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
my first bike was a 98 honda cbr f3 smokin joe edition.

my second was an 05 suzuki gsx-r 600..

to me, no bikes look as good as crotch rockets, and a 600 was the smallest respectable bike you can really get.. you really dont want to be seen on a 250 crotch rocket

now that i am a little older, i wouldnt mind getting something thats a bit of a cruiser.. crotch rockets can get uncomfortable after a 30 mile trip.

but for a beginner i would say get a newer honda cbr600.. to me- they are one of the more comfortable bikes that are a little easier to ride for beginner..

and i would look for one that has been laid down and save some money.. no point of finding a cherry, when you will probably lay it down in your first year..

POS Neon

Wang So Hard You Get Heart Mumer
May 10, 2009
NorthLake
to the OP, have you rode anything at all in the past such as a dirt bike or manual trans four wheeler as a kid? starting out on the street is much easier if you have the basic concepts of riding down already

I ride my cousins Scooter in Mexico. Closest thing i've ridden to a bike.

Thanks to people posting. Giving me some insight.

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
First bike V that one in my signature. Why becuase the price was right and I knew a six Hundo wouldn't cut it for to long plus it was already stretched so it keeps me from doing wheelies as I know if I didn't have a either a stretched bike or a cruiser I would be the idiot riding wheelies down the street.

sp_dynasty

I AM THE STIG
Oct 2, 2008
www.chicagolandsportbikes.com

go on there and start reading/join those guys are real good, as for first bike... its all what you want, if u get a crusier/harley you wont keep up with your sport bike friends, if u get a sportbike you will keep up with everyone. my first bike was a 04 gsxr 600, i wouldnt recommend getting a bike like that for your first one UNLESS you have someone to ride with that will teach you and not push your limits until you are ready, lucky for me one of my really good friends taught me how to ride and so far so good i havent seen pavment... like ron said the 650sv from suzuki is a great bike, givin the same sportbike tire it can out ride a gsxr:dunno: the 650 was the first street bike i ever rode but that was just around a parking lot, thats what got me hooked thought... if you have no experience riding just get a ninja 250, those are cheap and easy to find and its a perfect bike to learn on plus you will be able to get your M license on it. and by saving on buying the smaller bike you will be able to get all the proper gear (HELMET, JACKET, GLOVES and so on)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info