Ford question...

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
Hey I figured id get more of an answer in this section.

My 97 t-bird needs an engine, and since i dont want to throw another 3.8 in it, id rather swap a 4.6 in.

now my thing is, i found a 94 4.6 with a 4r70w attached to it on da cheeeep. but all the interchange info i find says my car needs a 96+ engine, im assuming because 96/97 are obd2 cars.

my question is, you guys know if theres a difference engine wise from 94 to 97, and would a 97 harness/eec-v control a 94 engine?

TIA

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
The 94/95 tbirds did come with a 4.6, no 5.0......I think 93 was the last of the 5.0 in the bird. I am sure about the 94 and 95 though.

As far as converting, dunno....Im sure its because the obdII is why they say that year +. I wouldnt think the ecu will read the older motor since it doesnt have the same system for emissions. So if you did get it to run right you would never pass emissions because it wont scan. My .02

Im sure you could find a cheap 96+ 4.6, but like riski said go with the newer 99 setup with P.I. heads. It will also have an aluminum crossover tube for the coolant in the intake. pre 99 had plastic and cracked...been there done that.

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee
No dif harness......better flowing heads....better updates to it and ecu tuining......but why ont u pick up a newer 2v insted....ones with a PI head?

Best out there is the 02 - 04 Explorer or Mountaineer. Aluminum block so its lighter, severly de-tuned in stock form so people didn't beat the shit out of it, better flowing, etc...

Z

Zenriddles

What's the 94 engine out of? If it is a Tbird engine - ok. Mustang, Lincoln towncar are different. Try putting a Mustang 5 oh in a Bird - it don't go easy. The 91 - 93 Tbird 5.0 is similar to the 94/95 Mustang engine only, earlier 5.0's go so far as to even spin the water pump the other direction.

An OBD I is not set up the same way for sensors that a OBD II engine uses either. You want the newer engine.

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
the engine is a 94 4.6 sohc out of a cougar. its got a trans with it all for 250

what i want to do is, use the 94 drivetrain, get a 97 v8 harness and eec-v

im not looking for an epic performance jump, at this point anything is better than the 3.8 that is in it with the nasty rod knock it has. the way i look at it, the non-pi 4.6 will be reliable enough until i decide to either go dohc or pi-sohc

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee
the engine is a 94 4.6 sohc out of a cougar. its got a trans with it all for 250

what i want to do is, use the 94 drivetrain, get a 97 v8 harness and eec-v

im not looking for an epic performance jump, at this point anything is better than the 3.8 that is in it with the nasty rod knock it has. the way i look at it, the non-pi 4.6 will be reliable enough until i decide to either go dohc or pi-sohc

Your plan will work fine then. My buddy Matt over on the thunderbird and cougar club of america site runs a 95 cougar with a 97 harness. Its a bitch to pull absolutely everything to run it, but since its a 97 you can just swap in a 96 - 99 sho speedometer that goes up to 150. Make sure you write down all the #s on the ECU before you install it, just so you don't have to pull it out later (and get the VIN number on the car, its sometimes required for a tune). You'll want to run the 97 top end components if at all possible and swap a PI intake onto the NPI heads, that'll be good for ~20 rwhp in the real world because the "violin case" on the 94/95 SUCKS.

Oh, make note of which rear diff you already have, its going to be a letter code in the door jamb. Its probably going to be "5" which is fine but you'll have to change speedo gears to have the correct speed on the speedometer.

http://tccoa.com/articles/gears/gears.html

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info