***Audio/Subs/amp help***

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
Just picked up 2 x 12" Alpine Type-R's from Riski.

Someone teach me whats the best setup for these... and a good Amp to power these.

x500SWR1242-b.jpeg

Subwoofer Specifications
Subwoofer Size 12"
Subwoofer Design Round / Circle
Main Cone Color Dark Gray
Voice Coil(s) Dual (2 voice coils)
Impedance (per voice coil) 4 ohms
Peak Power Handling 1500 watts
RMS Power Handling 500 watts
Woofer Composition Kevlar Fiber
Woofer Surround Santoprene Rubber
Minimum Sealed Box Volume 0.57 cubic feet
Maximum Sealed Box Volume 1.0 cubic feet
Minimum Ported Box Volume 0.75 cubic feet
Maximum Ported Box Volume 2.0 cubic feet
Sensitivity 85 dB
Frequency Response 23 - 500 Hz
Xmax (millimeters) 18.2 mm
Top Mount Depth 7-3/4"
Shallow Mount Installation No
Cutout Diameter 11"
Recommended Enclosure Type Ported / Vented
Sealed

It came with red/black banana clips.. Where should i attach these. I have never setup a system like this before... Ive always bought subs/amp/box combo used in the past.

Whats a good amp to power these?? Or at least what should i be looking for.. Money really isnt an issue because i want a really nice setup.

HELP!

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
OK, Here is my suggestions.

1. Build a sealed box for the speakers. 12" speakers require roughly 2 cubic feet of space for each in a sealed box. For ported it is 1.5 times larger. Generally this won't fit in a trunk of a car. Isobaric boxes are smaller, But personally I think they take away some of the punch of the drums, but that is just my personal preference. Depending on the music you listen to could affect the type of box you want.

2. I would hook each dual voice coil into parallel for a 2-ohm impedence.

3. Then get this amp: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20576_Rockford_Fosgate_P500-1bd.aspx
At 2-ohms you will be pumping 400W into each woofer. That should be plenty.

I use to do stereo install on the side and have built many custom subwoofer boxes over the years. Generally with newer vehicles some boxes need to be cutom built to fit properly and provide the proper speaker suspension for great sound.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
These things are basically like my x1244's. I say get a ported box, and a good 2,000 watt amp and a power cap. I used 0 gauge wire at first but now used 4 and have had no problems.If the subs peak at 1500 watts then to be safe you will want to stay in a 500 watt difference area to be safe.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
When picking an amp be aware some amps are rated at peak power and some are rated at RMS. You do not want to hook up a 1000W rms amp to a 500W rms speaker and crank the gain all the way up. If you did this you would change the speaker color to "blew". ;)

Also make sure you do not over power the rest of the system. (example: 500W subs and only running 20W to the rest of the speakers in the car.)

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
When picking an amp be aware some amps are rated at peak power and some are rated at RMS. You do not want to hook up a 1000W rms amp to a 500W rms speaker and crank the gain all the way up. If you did this you would change the speaker color to "blew". ;)

Also make sure you do not over power the rest of the system. (example: 500W subs and only running 20W to the rest of the speakers in the car.)

So true, sorry didnt think about that..

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
You only need one of those to do what you want to do...I have an Infinity Kappa sub in a vented pre-made box with about 500 watts going to it off my 10ZX700.5 amp, that is way under rated, and it hits plenty hard. The amp is less then half way up to lol

I have 2 Type R-12's in my Suburban. I just upgraded to the Alpine MRP-M1000 Amp, it's a total beast.
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6357/MRPM1000--Alpine-1000-Watt-Mono-Subwoofer-Amplifier.htm

x2, that amp is a beast. I've heard one of those power 2 CVR's and it makes some decent noise.

Hifonics is not a bad company to look into either. They make all different kinds of amps for every different setup. Kenwood is good too, I had a Kenwood amp with my old setup and it definitely put out more power than it said. Don't waste your money on a cap though. I have a 2 farad cap and I'm only running 1000 rms and at half power my lights still dim. Get a high output alternator and a decent battery.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info