Barack Obama's old $3,500 Jeep Cherokee sells for $26,437.50 at auction

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
Image if you bought an old Jeep Cherokee in the Chicago Suburbs and looked at the paper work and discovered a famous name on the title.

That name being: Barack Obama.

obamajeep.jpg

What would you do?

If you were Liz Murphy, an executive assistant in Naperville, Ill, who until recently owned the 2000 Cherokee with 133,000 miles and a few dings, you'd auction it, and get $26,437.50 for it.

According to the Washington Post the seller of the car gave Murphy the paperwork in September of 2004 when she purchased the car and pointed out a certain now famous name on it.

"I said, ‘Hey, isn’t that guy a politician in Chicago?’” she recalls. Obama’s name and address are noted on the original title: “Barack Obama/5450 S. East View Park/Chicago, IL 60615,” as is the date of original purchase: “8/26/00.” The seller suggested she make a copy before she had to turn it in to the motor-vehicle agency. “You never know, he might be president some day,’” she recalls he said."

The Jeep Cherokee was sold on THIS online auction that drew 28 bidders by John Reznikoff, a collector who hales from Westport, Conn.

“I would have been willing to pay over $100,000 for it,” Reznikoff said.

The Washington Post goes on to report that, "He will add the car to his collection of presidential artifacts, which include two of John F. Kennedy’s parade cars, Lyndon Johnson’s sports coat and Ronald Reagan’s rocking chair."

For her part Murphy plans to use the money from the sale of the presidential Jeep Cherokee to buy a new car.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2812-Road...00-Jeep-Cherokee-sells-for-2643750-at-auction

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
Too bad it's a 2000, if it has the 4.0L (epic engine) the head is prone to cracking between the coolant passages for that year's casting. No biggie though, just swap the head for a different casting.

As for mileage, Frank you must have had bad luck. The older Jeeps with the 4.0L run pretty long, my mom's 2000 Cherokee has 210,000 miles on it and hasn't needed anything outside of regular maintenance other than the A/C system being crap (the compressor they use never lasts long) and the o2 sensors needed replacing a few times.

My neighbor has over 300k on his 95 Cherokee.

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
Too bad it's a 2000, if it has the 4.0L (epic engine) the head is prone to cracking between the coolant passages for that year's casting. No biggie though, just swap the head for a different casting.

As for mileage, Frank you must have had bad luck. The older Jeeps with the 4.0L run pretty long, my mom's 2000 Cherokee has 210,000 miles on it and hasn't needed anything outside of regular maintenance other than the A/C system being crap (the compressor they use never lasts long) and the o2 sensors needed replacing a few times.

My neighbor has over 300k on his 95 Cherokee.

meh... had 165k on it when it went.

TinMan

Regular
Feb 22, 2010
Lockport
Man, I hope he didn't sell out and buy a damn Prius. I like when they race the normal gasoline ones on ice tracks, but the Prius hybrid is a misleading car. People buy it thinking "omg, I'm saving the environment and/or money" and next thing you know, bam! Car payments, depreciation, expensive repairs once the warranty is up, more nickel mines for the hybrid batteries, and then the ridiculous amount of pollution and energy that goes into producing the vehicle. I have no idea how pollution in all its different forms is measured, but I would love to see a comparison of the production of a new Prius hybrid + 100k miles compared to reusing some other car...one with a somewhat bad rep like a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee (rated 18-21mpgish, right?) for 100k miles.

In my opinion, if you're going to be a gas saving cheap hippy you should buy an old diesel VW from when they got ridiculously good fuel economy, or a Honda CR-X.

vroom

Regular
Jul 9, 2009
Man, I hope he didn't sell out and buy a damn Prius. I like when they race the normal gasoline ones on ice tracks, but the Prius hybrid is a misleading car. People buy it thinking "omg, I'm saving the environment and/or money" and next thing you know, bam! Car payments, depreciation, expensive repairs once the warranty is up, more nickel mines for the hybrid batteries, and then the ridiculous amount of pollution and energy that goes into producing the vehicle. I have no idea how pollution in all its different forms is measured, but I would love to see a comparison of the production of a new Prius hybrid + 100k miles compared to reusing some other car...one with a somewhat bad rep like a 4.0L Jeep Cherokee (rated 18-21mpgish, right?) for 100k miles.

In my opinion, if you're going to be a gas saving cheap hippy you should buy an old diesel VW from when they got ridiculously good fuel economy, or a Honda CR-X.

It's called 'Green Consumerism' and it's an oxymoron that people seem to be infatuated with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info