Opinions on which trans please

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
Ok so as Mark previously found out, our stock transmissions do not like the newfound power lol. At the track it was nothing but problems. It eventually turned into me only being able to shift if I let off between gears. If I'm WOT it just bounces off the rev-limiter on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. :fu:

So I've had some money set aside knowing this would happen and I have 2 trans's that have caught my interest.
I have no interest in taking mine out and having it re-built. I just want to buy one that is done and have it over with.
A new stall is also in the works with it.

Here are the 2 I'm debating on

This one has a manual valve body and trans-brake. For less, but no warranty.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0466260816&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This one has a 3 year warranty but no trans-brake or manual valve body.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEVE...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I like the idea of having a manual valve body and not having to worry about tuning my shift points and just doing it myself. But on the other hand a warranty'd trans is a big plus.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'd say go for the manual valvebody and you can be the test mule! I've never been for a ride in a car with that set-up, and I thought about something like that for my car. I think you'd still net better times with a true automatic, but a manual set-up would be a lot more fun on the streets.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Are either of those from reputable builders or are you just searching for the cheapest options possible? the 3yr warranty sounds like BS to me, and they will find a way not to honor it. You are buing a built trans from them, so you can put it in a modified car and beat on it? Doesnt seem very smart on their part... Also, if this is your DD, a manual valve body car will get old. Nothing like driving stick at all.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
Are either of those from reputable builders or are you just searching for the cheapest options possible? the 3yr warranty sounds like BS to me, and they will find a way not to honor it. You are buing a built trans from them, so you can put it in a modified car and beat on it? Doesnt seem very smart on their part... Also, if this is your DD, a manual valve body car will get old. Nothing like driving stick at all.

True I thought about this also. How could they warrenty a trans thats made to get beat and broken or has the possibility to break more than a stock car.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL

I researched the trans with the warranty and I've heard mostly good things.
The manual valve body trans I'm not sure where was built.

This is more me just looking for something a bit better than just putting in another stock trans. Not looking for something thats going to hold a million hp forever and spend 4k that I don't have. The car will be at this sub 400whp mark for quite some time still so I don't think I'm going to really be destroying something thats even mildly built. But I could be wrong.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
I researched the trans with the warranty and I've heard mostly good things.
The manual valve body trans I'm not sure where was built.

This is more me just looking for something a bit better than just putting in another stock trans. Not looking for something thats going to hold a million hp forever and spend 4k that I don't have. The car will be at this sub 400whp mark for quite some time still so I don't think I'm going to really be destroying something thats even mildly built. But I could be wrong.

With all these new upgrades how is the stock driveshaft going to hold up with the new trans and stall and possible gear?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
With all these new upgrades how is the stock driveshaft going to hold up with the new trans and stall and possible gear?

Blackbeard (mark) still has his stock driveshaft and been running it for quite sometime with more power than me on basically slicks a big stall and built trans.

Shibby speaks the truth. I think I mentioned my set-up and how I went about it. The whole thing cost about $2,550. I bought a triple disc PI convertor. I put that on the stock trans and eventually the stock trans started slippy like crazy. So I removed the stock trans and took it to BC Automotive to have it rebuilt with hardened parts, $1,600 cash. I dropped it off, picked it up, and then put it back on. It would have cost an extra $600 to have him do the work, so Eagle and I did it ourselves. So once I put it back together, I took the car back to him and he road tuned it and that service was included in the $1,600. I did this two years ago and have close to 400whp running through it and have never had an issue. This includes many trips to the track. It's worked out great for me. I chose not to have the manual valve body done as it would have been quite a bit more $$$.

I don't have any problems with the drive shaft at all. But I did have to rebuild the rear-end with 31 spline components.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info