How do you make a deal on a car over the phone a few states away?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
ive seen similar posts like this where people end up getting screw and i really dont think there is much about it you can do

at the MB dealership I know they have people coming in all the time from far away, a few from WI but its not like we have 100 used cars and there are like 10 people interested all the time

can they take a deposit on the car over the phone AND send you some sort of document via fax that you put the deposit on said car and for a certain price?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
ive seen similar posts like this where people end up getting screw and i really dont think there is much about it you can do

at the MB dealership I know they have people coming in all the time from far away, a few from WI but its not like we have 100 used cars and there are like 10 people interested all the time

can they take a deposit on the car over the phone AND send you some sort of document via fax that you put the deposit on said car and for a certain price?

yeah thats what i was thinking. we have people come in to the marina like that quite often... and when they ask for a certain qualification of used boat... we occasionally reply with something along the lines of

"ohhhh yeah, you know, the used boat factory was building that tomorrow, you are just in time! lucky you"

some laugh. some do not.

id say try to get em to take a refundable deposit for the car from you- pending your inspection- that way they know you are serious...

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
what and where is it?

maybe have someone local, er at least more local than you go out there that you could trust? give them some money for gas and a bite to eat for their time.. better than you driving all the way there to get nothing and be out all that time money

just thinking OTHER ways of doing it besides giving the dealer a deposit as ive heard nothing but horror stories for most dealers

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
One thing to do is see if there is a specific car forum for that car. Then see if someone who lives local can inspect the car and let you know it's condition and if it's a fair price or what it really is worth. Once you know the exact condition of the car, You can make a reasonable offer and a deposit. On a Fiero forum, I get emails occassionally for out of state folks who locate a car local to me to do an inspection of the car.

The other option would be to locate a car inspection service near the vehicle. They usually charge around $125-$150 to go over the entire car and send you a report.

Lastly you could just get a friend or two and do a road trip.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
100 miles isn't far. If you're serious and it looks good in pics then go look at it.

Remember dasfinc and his mustang in libertyville? That's the situation I see happening or the guy doesn't budge on price cause you just drove 2 hours away and will presumably settle to not feel like you wasted your time.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
i bought my TBSS from Mississippi - talked over the phone a few times - sent lots of email/pics - drove down after about 2 weeks or talking (overnight w/ old lady - went and saw elvis' house!!!) - liked it - got it for $1700 cheaper then expected (due to worn tires, bad repainted front bumper, etc) drove it home the following weekend - but it was not a dealer - might be totally different - but 100miles aint shit - i drove to MI and back tuesday - 500miles....

1FastWS6

Slow and only getting Slower...
Jun 20, 2007
I flew out to west virginia to pick up my ws6.. I said if I like what I see when I get there and it is described how you said then we can work out a deal. I did that, saw/test drove the car flew back home the same day and paid the guy cash along with setting up a shipping date. So yeah pretty much drive the 100 miles ryan, thats nothing compared to taking a trip to north carolina or something. Either way if you need me to go on a road trip with ya, im down.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
There's not a ton of ways to get screwed. I deal with this all the time, all you have to do is make sure you're working with a reputable person on the other end. The best thing to do is to call and let them know that if they hold up their end of the bargin, there's no reason you wont buy the car. This is the point where they disclose all the little things they "forgot" about when listing the vehicle or in a preliminary call to them. What kind of car are you looking for, I'll find it cheaper haha :D

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
There's not a ton of ways to get screwed. I deal with this all the time, all you have to do is make sure you're working with a reputable person on the other end. The best thing to do is to call and let them know that if they hold up their end of the bargin, there's no reason you wont buy the car. This is the point where they disclose all the little things they "forgot" about when listing the vehicle or in a preliminary call to them. What kind of car are you looking for, I'll find it cheaper haha :D

i was just gonna say, lets get outlaw in here and find the car cheaper and help out another member

winger4800

Lets race NOT from a roll....
Feb 7, 2008
Longview, TX
I dunno about dealerships....kinda is a 50/50 shot. Do some research like see if they are registered with Better Business Bureau...But the way everything has been going with the economy and all, I don't think they would screw ya, unless they are that stupid lol....

I bought a car (1991 FIREHAWK...I know, I'm an idiot for not keeping it) from a guy in California without seeing it in person. I saw about 100 photos of it, talked to him for hours about it, bought it and had a shipping company deliver it to my job in Wheaton...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info