Patrick Hyundai in Schaumburg

UWISHU1

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2004
Hanover Park
Can SUCK IT!!

Well my 06 Sonata 3.3 V6 has been trouble free up til now (80Kmi) On my way back from Florida the SES light popped on comin through TN.
As I got closer to home the SES started to flash (misfire as I later learned) So I take to Advance Auto to have the codes read: P0300,P0303,P0305,P0134.
they said it needed a tune up so I purchased some NGK iridium IX (part#5464) and installed them one weekend in about 3 hours.

The car drove fine for about 2 days and the SES came on again, this time I called the Hyundai service to drop the car off.

They called and told me it was throwing a mis fire code and a bad o2. They wanted to replace the plugs at the tune of $385 :eek: I told them "HELL TO DA NAW!!" I had replaced them a week ago. There reply was "Did you buy the plugs from US?!" I said "no" they then stated that the SES would come back on unless I used their plugs.

I was like WTH is the difference they are the same brand/type plug??

The o2 was covered under warranty but of course they had to charge me $118 for diagnosing I needed plugs and a lower radiator hose which were NOT under warranty.

So I leave the stealership get about 5 minutes away and sure as shit the SES comes back on so I headed straight for Advance to check for codes.

Now P0031 pops up?? I told the guy to clear the code drive home SES is off start the car up before work and the DAMN SES is on again, same code.

I guess my question is should I take the car back to the dealer and tell them WTF!! Take it somewhere else? It's obvious it's NOT the spark plugs I put in :mad:

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
P0031 deals with the O2's heater control. The PCM is seeing low resistance.
Some vehicles use a relay and a fuse to control the heater in the O2 sensor as well.

I would inspect all the wiring for possible nicks. It could be when they changed the O2 they nicked or chaffed the wire and it is causing a short in the O2 heater circuit.
You can pop off the connector to the O2 and see if it has +12V on it. If it does, It could be a bad sensor, If it does not then you have a wiring/power problem.

UWISHU1

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2004
Hanover Park
Update!! dropped the Sonata off at the shop yesterday and there was a different guy at the service desk. Of course after arguing back and forth for 5 minutes INSISTING IT WAS NOT THE PLUGS! It was a code for the o2 sensor they had just replaced last week, he was like oh will take a look at it.

Any how they just called and said "Good news, the o2 sensor we installed was stuck open (circuit low code P0031) and was replaced under warranty".

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I'd take that shit back and tell 'em to try again and you're not paying for a diagnosis again.

True story, I had to go to Rohrman Jeep/Chrsyler with basically the same problem you are having. They told me it was a bad knock sensor, I told them well there is something causing the car to knock badly just replacing the sensor is going to retard the timing the problem won't be solved. I get it drive a block, turn around tell them it is still misfiring. Ok well we'll replace plugs and wires. Get the car back and STILL misfiring. Basically at the point I bitched out the service manager for 10 minutes, made him drive my car with the tech and myself in the car, and told him not to call me until the problem is solved. Low and behold the car was fine when I picked it up again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info