Ironing out some details, Input please

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I have a 98 ranger with a 98 Explorer motor in it, running a 96 ECU and 99 Returnless fuel rails and injectors

it is running PIGGGG Rich *assuming because the fuel pump is pushing 72PSI, not the 45 that the ECU is expecting*

There are no CEL codes from this, so I know it is killing my fuel mileage and power.

Any way to fix this issue without replacing the entire fuel pump assembly? Inline FPR, Etc?

I have returnless fuel rails, but I'd imagine swapping the FPR's on the rail wouldn't DO anything since the returnless FPR is at the END of the rails, so I'm not sure what kind of impact, if any, it has on controlling the pressure since the pump and rails are pushing 72PSI into the engine.

I'd read that there is a FPR inside the fuel pump? or is it a seperate thing INSIDE of the fuel tank with the pump?

HELLLLP Input????

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Put an adjustable fpr on. :dunno: also; why not get the correct ecu?

All 98+ Explorer ECU's have PATS, Also, I'm running the upper manifold and sensors off of a 96 *donor truck*

So if I run a 99 ECU to deal with the fuel pressure, I'd have to figure out all the sensors up top, PLUS I'd need to deal with PATS.

Not sure how I'd put an adjustable FPR inline as it has the 'quick connect' fuel lines, do they make an inline FPR that hooks right into those quick connects?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Wouldn't it just replace the stock one? I have no clue what your setup looks like. So the actual fpr has a quick disconnect? What's a mustang adjustable fpr look like?

there are no aftermarket ON RAIL FPR's for the returnless fuel system as the PSI is sent back from the pump, and normally FPR's are 'letting so much' go back to the fuel tank.

So I was thinking maybe there is an Inline FPR of some kind that I can put infront of the rails where the rail quick connects to the 'chassis' connect essentially? or if anyone knows if I can just drop the explorer pump in there and call it a day?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Well I'd think the explorer pump would fit in the ranger housing but what happens when you mod the 302 and the explorer pump can't handle it? So foxbody 302's had return lines I assume? There has to be a solution if any performance cars have returnless lines. I've never owned a car with one (well carbed cars but that's not the same haha)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Got some new info from Brian Blackburn (the Ron vogel of EFI swapped rangers)

the assemblies are different, there is an fpr in the tank with the pump that let's off the excess fuel right there, it is not sold on it's own, so I gotta pull and cannabalize a junkyard assembly.

I want to get it tuned, I emailed kurgan 5 dys ago with no reply, emailed deans last night. Because it's a mechanical difference, I'm not sure tuning could correct the issue.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
do they sell fuel rails with an adjustable fpr?

I was looking around, and it does not look like they do for my application.

before I waste any more time, Ima assume/hope a tune would rectify this problem anyways, am I wrong? 99 Expo's run 72PSI the same as the ranger, the ECU's have PATS though so I can't use that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info