Figuring out cooling issues

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
If the hoses are hot but the radiator isn't, That usually indicates no flow. Do you know if anyone ever changed the waterpump? Some of the replacement water pumps use cheap plastic for the impeller. Over time these slip on the shafts and cause the same thing you are describing.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
If the hoses are hot but the radiator isn't, That usually indicates no flow. Do you know if anyone ever changed the waterpump? Some of the replacement water pumps use cheap plastic for the impeller. Over time these slip on the shafts and cause the same thing you are describing.

It has not been replaced, I had hoped it survived its ordeal having the fan removed, and it may not have...

The radiator on the upper left side on the EDGE gets VERY hot, but the bulk surface does not.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Replaced the T-stat, and the Water pump...

Still no flow, upper hose is getting pressure, but no coolant in it.

Radiator has no clogs, ran a hose through it....

Oil still looks good, doesn't smell or look like anything bad...

I dunno if it matters, but the water filler neck is BELOW the top of the T-stat housing.

Was a bit low on oil *Doesn't leak anything, but granted I had changed it right after the swap, so I'm sure it needed an extra half/quart due to the filter filling up, and am not thinking anything of it.
could DESPERATELY use some help, I'm soo close, and yet so far :(

Last thing I can think of is just run no T-stat...?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Sounds like it's just low on coolant, and the pump is cavitating.

Wait until it's cold, and fill from the tstat neck, also top off the rad after it's back on and see if that helps.

Thats what I am hoping...

I have a REALLY stupid question...

Which way does the T-stat belong in the neck?

Right now I have the 'spring' side TOWARD the engine, and I am starting to think that this may be backwards.... Would this cause it to be locked closed....?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Well if it flows without the T stat then it'll narrow it down. Could also be bad...even when new. You could try heating it up and see if it opens. Usually the spring sits towards the engine but don't know about 302's

I'm fairly confident that is the case, and that is also how I'm like 99% sure I installed it...

Granted the T-stat I tossed in there was for a V-6 explorer... but I thought they all functioned the same? *dunno*

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Well let's hope taking it out solves the problem and it's nothing serious.

I'd be REALLY shocked if I popped the F'in headgaskets already, or the motor already had bad/leaking ones... again, the oil looks good, and the rad isn't heating up.... I'm used to bad HG's will cause it to overheat in a hurry, including the freaking Rad!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info