Do you tell your insurance company about mods?

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I've been thinkinag about this after every time I talk to Geico about my coverage, they ask if it has any modifications to it. Is this to provider extra coverage on those parts or does it bump me up to a higher (more expensive) risk level?

anyone else have their insurance companies ask this and/or tell them about the modifications for coverage reasons?

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Im sure it'll help if the car is stolen, so you can get reimbursed for those parts :dunno:

If you don't tell them you won't get money. My brother had this problem when his stereo system was jacked. So he added an add on policy for it.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about... If the car were to be total, it would be nice to be covered for the bigger cost mods...

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
If you want your money back for what the parts are worth it's almost double the insurance payment every month. If it was worth the extra money to insure than yea but a 4-5k turbo kit wouldn't qualify (not sure if that's how much angus paid)

It's a mustang i wouldn't worry about it being stolen :mamoru: j/k j/k

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
talked to my insurance guy about this and he said it's basically just add-on insurance. You are then paying insurance for $X valued customized parts. So of course your premiums will rise b/c you are insuring something more valuable...

He even gave me a quote for $2000 rims and it wasn't that much more...

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I know there have been several threads on this, but I'm also too lazy to look them up. There are a few issues with heavily modded cars. I'm not talking something with a smaller pulley and some fancy blue lights.
I was told that you run the risk of them not insuring your car at all if you wreck it and it comes to light that it was highly modified. Some companies won't even insure it. I find it ridiculous because my car is no different than a pullied Cobra and they'll insure those cars. I wouldn't mind paying a little more in premium if it meant that my mods were insured. State Farm's official policy was to not cover my mods even with receipts. But the branch owner told me he'd honor it anyway, but wouldn't put it in writing. So I pretty much assumed he'd eff me over if anything happened.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Yes it is, I think my brother added it because he was left high and dry when his car was cleaned out. He no longer carries the extra policy for his subsequent 2 cars.
:bowrofl:

90b393a9.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info