Be careful people who ride.....

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
At least three people died after a dump truck slammed into a group of motorcycles at 27th Drive and Carefree Highway in north Phoenix.

Video from motorcycle crash scene | Photos

Eight motorcycles carrying at least nine people were stopped at a stop light when the large truck apparently hit them from behind, Phoenix police spokesman Luis Samudio said. Three bodies were pinned under the truck.

Tania Krukoff, an employee at a nearby Walgreen's, said she was returning from a nearby gas station when she came upon the accident and talked to the driver of the truck.

"He was in shock," Krukoff said. "He (said) he wasn't paying attention, just shuffling with his paperwork."

Six people more were taken to local hospitals, one of them being a Phoenix fire captain, Samudio said.

The firefighter, Ernie Lizarraga, is a 22-year veteran of the department, officials said. He was taken into surgery.

Lizarraga is a member of a motorcycle club called Phoenix-M-C-Kruzers. Authorities have not yet confirmed whether the riders hurt Thursday were with the club; however, an invitation for Thursday's ride posted by Lizarraga on the Web site, meetup.com, told riders they would go to Carefree "and off to Bartlett Lake."

"I just WANNA RIDE," he told members of the Web group.

After the accident the Blue Sky Sanitation truck was smoking, and popping could be heard before it burst into flames. Witnesses saved at least two people who were near the truck when it caught fire by pulling them to safety. Motorcycles were said to be spread out 20 to 30 yards behind the truck.

A medical helicopter landed at least twice to transfer victims to the hospital.

After the truck hit the motorcycles, the truck burst into flames and hit a sports-utility vehicle, a pickup and a sedan. No one from any of those vehicles was injured, Daisy Mountain Fire Department spokesman Phil Dyer said.

The driver of the truck was not injured. Officials said there were no initial signs of impairment. The Carefree Highway was expected to be closed for several hours.

Lynn McDowell, also a Walgreen's employee, ran out with other employees to help.

"I grabbed all the water I could and took blankets because there were bodies everywhere," McDowell said. "It was horrible."

The truck driver, she said, "got out of the truck and tried to help the people under the truck.''

"The flames were so high you couldn't get close," she reported. She and others took fire extinguishers from Walgreen's to try to extinguish the flames.

Jarrod Cook owns Ketzal Mexican Grill near the scene. He said he has closed his shop for the day because of the accident.

All six that was transported are in critical condition. At least 50 firefighters and two ladder crews responded to the scene.

Transportation officials said the road would reopen by 7 a.m. Friday

KAR

Rip Riski
Jan 4, 2010
Elk Grove
That's very sad. And yes us riders need to be carefull of idiots or those that aren't paying attention. Yesterday while I was riding I got pushed onto the middle median on golf by roselle road because a young female decided to cut across three lanes to get to the median. I luckly avoided being hit. And yes this was my first instance on the bike and I know there will be plenty of more.

It's like people space out and go into la la land when driving and think they are the only ones on the road.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Whenever I ride I always stop behind a car at a slant so I'm either aiming between two cars sitting at the light or between the car and the curb. Then I check my rear view mirrors until a few cars are behind me. This way I always have an exit.

It does get a little frustrating having to think and drive for everyone else on the road though and then there's the people that want to drive right up your ass. Most of them are women...

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Even in a car I randomly check the rear-view to see if someone is flying up behind me. Though I don't really have any outs other than jumping out of my car. They other day some lady came flying up behind me while I was at a light and I thought she was going to hit me. She changed lanes last minute, but it still got my attention.

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
that is exactly why i do not care to try and own a motorcycle out here. The weathers great for it, but drivers out here do NOT pay attention to riders at all.

Ditto! People are just fuckin morons out here. Driving their shitty kia or toyota they're oblivious to anyone or anything. I've had instances in the SS when I was hauling ass down a road and people just pull out straight in front of me from a side street. You hear me blasting down the street, the fact is that they are just that stupid. Like how they slam on the brakes when the light turns yellow. Or how all the dumbfucks back up the express ways to downtown because they want to stop and read the overhead sign on how long it will take to reach downtown (instead of just driving normally and probably getting there faster).

People are fuckin cattle and behind the wheel are just brain dead. I have no desire to own a bike for that very reason. They look sweet and I love the sound of them, but it's not worth it to me.

mat0485

Addict
Nov 27, 2009
Aurora
and bikers arnt idiots at all when driving? I understand this drive was at fault, but it goes all the way around. I drive a work van with major blind spots. Everyone just has to be more aware. Distracted driving is whats killing everyone. Its early is the season as well. people arnt expecting a bike to be zipping along.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info