No emission test for the 99 Pontiac GTP!?!?!?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
The Illinois vehicle emissions test checks whether the emission control system on your motor vehicle is working properly. Motor vehicle manufacturers are required to meet increasingly stringent pollution standards, but vehicles that are not properly maintained or that have malfunctioning emission control systems often exceed these standards. Vehicle emissions tests identify such vehicles, and repairs are then required to reduce the emissions which cause pollution. These repairs help clean the air while improving the vehicle's performance and fuel economy.

Your vehicle is scheduled for testing every two years, beginning the fourth model year. If you purchase a vehicle that has an expired vehicle emissions compliance certificate or sticker, the vehicle may be required to be tested as soon as the new registration is received. Vehicles failing the emissions test must be repaired, then retested. If your vehicle failed the emissions test, we recommend that you have the vehicle repaired by a qualified technician who is experienced in the diagnosis and repair of emission control systems. If a vehicle cannot pass the emissions test, a waiver may be available if certain requirements are met. Check the waiver section of the “Questions about Vehicle Emissions Testing” FAQ page for further information about waiver requirements.)

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Not sure what 4th model year means....is it 4 years after it's made? Cause that would mean mine should be up already....

It means my 2006 Pontiac will get tested the first time this year (2010) and then every 2 years afterwards. This only applies to 1996 and newer vehicles. 1995 and older do not require emission testing as long as they passed the last time they were tested. If there is no record or the last test was a fail, it may need to be tested again. My 1986 Pontiac was on an "exempt compliance" status so it does not need to be ever be tested again.

The 99 GP will next be tested in 2011.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info