Push button start: Yay or Nay

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
The ranger is quickly becoming less and less of a DD type truck (no climate control *Gauges*, no blower motor/heat/a/c, manual everything to begin with)

a simple solution to resolve my starting issue after tearing through alot of diagrams, and all the different harnesses, would be to just wire a push button start...

I'm thinking it would be kinda cool to put it where the left cigarette lighter is

What do you guys think?

*not my truck, my truck is auto, tan, white faced gauges, and gauges where the climate knobs are.*

11998RangerInterior.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
No, don't do it. Push button start is usually an unwanted option installed by a previous owner who liked to revise a wiring harness the ghetto way instead of fixing issues.
Just turn the key, it's not that hard.

in a truck with no heat or ac and an ignorant motorswap, i don't think potential buyers will care. That and it's a slew of different years of wiring between the motor/chassis/ecu, there is no non ghetto way around this.... I can trace the hot wire from the ignition, but there are 50 some odd wires, in a 12 year old loom....

And as mentioned earlier, for this setup you will still need the key in the ignition and in the on position to unlock the steering and to make the start button 'hot' so it's not really a theft issue.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
why? Shouldnt you get this thing running before doing any more mods to it... Seems like you dont keep your vehicles for very long or finish your projects, so IMO you are just wasting money.

I've owned the ranger 2 years, and have been working on this project about 5 months now. The civics were a weekend motor swap, I have quite a bit more blood, sweat, and tears into this truck

I was more curious what you guys think of the button in general and the placement?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I would vote Nay on the concept, but the placement would be okay.... Technically it should be on the left hand side of the steering wheel. In racing they put it there so your right hand can shift into gear as soon as you start and then go! Not that that is applicable to you. lol

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've heard they've had this invention, where you turn a key and it starts the motor...:hsugh:....just busting your balls, if its going to be easier to do the install this way why not go for it.

Thats kinda why I posted this thread... I'm not looking to be 'lazy' I thought it would be a cool idea, and would be easier as well. To get rid of it, all I'd have to do is trace the bloody hot wire and re-splice a single wire.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
unless you place it where it can't be seen, it's going to look pretty stupid/ricey.
what about a small switch on the side of the steering column?

and why doesnt the truck turn key start? still blowing a fuse? are you sure the PCM doesnt have an internal voltage regulator, and the harness is setup for an external mounted on the alternator? ford did that shit in the 90s. you might be shorting the circuit out....

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
i say do it..

get the push button from the s2000

it would take a few hours to wire up and install, but its a decent cheap mod, that to me makes sense to have.. i think its pretty cool and have always wanted to do it myself..

the problem most people have are immobilizer systems.. but your ranger may not have one.. if you did, you would have to still insert the key, or bypass it completely..

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
his truck is having a weird ass issue... where once you connect the battery, it trys to engage the starter...

we follow back the power and ground wires from the starter and everything is solid...

it DOESnt do it until it blows the Generator/Regulator Fuse... once that pops, it trys to engage.

that is kind of odd..

there is a guy in town named mike. He is like the House of cars.. electrical is his specialty.

He does work out of his van, and just travels to shops when they cant get something figured out.. PM me if you want his number..

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
what year/model pcm and harness is in the truck? and what about the engine? what year/model is in there.

96 ecu, 96 engine harness, 98 truck and chassis harness. The issue with the starter was that the 98+ ecu has a built In voltage regulator, the 96 ecu uses an external one. Gotta wire the regulator in line to the hot ign. Wire. Or I can wire it off the batt with a fuse and start button momentary switch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info