Another newb audio question! Need help, bridging speakers???

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Ok so I have a 4 channel amp that I had installed running components up front, and 6X9's in the rear. How do I exactly bridge them? I want to be able to run all 4 speakers, and a small P1 10" sub that I have. The sub only needs 100 watts (not trying to blow anyone out of the water here) Just using it to fill in the deep notes the 6X9's can't produce.

Is this even possible? The amp is rated at 4X80 RMS at 4 ohms. The p1 punch is also 4 ohm. Thanks guys.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
eh. you got 5 speakers and 4 channels. you really need another amp. you can physically wire in all 5, but probably not in any spectacular combination and it's probably not going to work very well.

I mean I realize i'll lose fadability but that's not a big deal for me. All 4 speakers are the same RMS wattage and efficiency and all that good stuff.

I'd just I guess rather try this first than have to go back to get a sub installed with another amp as I'm tapped out of funds now lol. I figure with a another amp, I'd have to wire completely separately but still wouldn't need a capacitor yet, as I'm running total like 500 watts rms with the sub. Nothing too crazy.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
you can run

........ch1+ .....ch1-..........ch2+.........ch2-
.........^..........^.............. ^.............^...
......FL+ RL+..FL- RL-........RF+ RR+...RF- RR-

.....ch3+.......ch3-............ch4+.......ch4-
........^...........^.................^.........^
.......sub+.....................................sub-

but to get the best results you should get a 2ch or mono for your sub try the12volt.com for more info

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
you can run

........ch1+ .....ch1-..........ch2+.........ch2-
.........^..........^.............. ^.............^...
......FL+ RL+..FL- RL-........RF+ RR+...RF- RR-

.....ch3+.......ch3-............ch4+.......ch4-
........^...........^.................^.........^
.......sub+.....................................sub-

but to get the best results you should get a 2ch or mono for your sub try the12volt.com for more info

Thanks so much JD that' exactly what I was looking for. I realize I'm not utilizing the potential of the speakers or sub this way, but until I get a little more money to get another amp wired up and everything this hopefully will do.

Like I said the punch p1 is only a 10", specs say it can only handle 50-150 rms... I figure i'll have more than enough going to it from the amp. I guess i'm just hoping the speakers will still sounds ok? Do they essentially turn 2 ohm at that point so they'll still get proper power? Thanks for that diagram that helps a ton.

John

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Even if it is 2 ohm stable, that doesn't mean your speakers read out at what they are spec'd at. Many 8 ohm speakers actually measure 6 ohms, etc. You may overheat the amp, and cause it to cut out a lot. Either way, it's going to be very hard to balance the sub to the speakers wiring it this way. It will also have phase issues that will make it sound nasal and mid-rangey.

I'd skip the sub, it would probably sound better. Or at least mount it and install it leaving it unhooked until you can get a proper power amp for it. A simple and cheap class D amp would be fine, you will only need 100-150 watts max. Probably find one on CL for $20-40.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I appreciate all the advice on here. I ended up hooking it up to the specs like JD posted, and it works perfectly! Amazingly enough, it sounds really really good too. I was very skeptical, but the Type-R's are singing great, and even balanced perfectly which was good because I couldn't fade lol. I set the HPF for all 4 speakers set for everything above 250 hz, and then bridged the 10" on channels 3 & 4 with a LPF set up for below 250 hz

Sub is almost too powerful for my tastes (shows you how much I don't need crazy bass lol) I have it turned down quite a bit, but it gives exactly that low end that my 6X9 type-R's couldn't produce well. Amp so far is holding up great, and no distortion from the speakers or the sub! YAHTZEE!

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Sub is almost too powerful for my tastes (shows you how much I don't need crazy bass lol) I have it turned down quite a bit, but it gives exactly that low end that my 6X9 type-R's couldn't produce well. Amp so far is holding up great, and no distortion from the speakers or the sub! YAHTZEE!

Lower your crossover frequency down to around 125hz. This will reduce the brightness of the subwoofer slightly and move more of the mid-bass to the 6X9's. You technically should be able to go as low as 80hz, but by what you stated above with regards to your taste, 125hz will probably be the ideal spot for you.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Lower your crossover frequency down to around 125hz. This will reduce the brightness of the subwoofer slightly and move more of the mid-bass to the 6X9's. You technically should be able to go as low as 80hz, but by what you stated above with regards to your taste, 125hz will probably be the ideal spot for you.

Thanks I'll try that!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info