Help starting TA

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
It's been a year since I started it. Fluids are fresh. Good battery with lots of charge.
Cranks over fine, getting gas into the carb, just won't fire. Even tried starting fluid. No back fire through carb. Pulled distrubutor everythings clean and not to worn inside. Checked plug connections, all tight and wiggled to make sure they where seated.
Any other hints as to getting it to fire? The Thunderbird fired right up with a spray of starting fluid and has run fine the last 2 days.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
i say spark!! My buddies camaro started one week flawlessly and then the next it would just crank and crank. Same exact thing you described, gas through the carb, tried starting fluid and nothing worked. We checked for spark and there was nothing so we replaced the cap, rotor, and coil(bought this from SUMMIT http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850030/) and it fired RIGHT up. His coil was shot.

cliffs: check for spark :rofl:

LSx S10

TCG Elite Member
Nov 15, 2007
Lombard, IL
Changed cap rotor and coil. Still not getting a spark. Pulled a plug, held it while cranking and saw nothing. Pulled cap,coil and rotor again checked connections, reinstalled and still no spark.

the spark plug needs to be grounded for it to spark. So try the same thing, but touch the threads of the spark plug to something metal on the engine.

this test can be deceiving though because even though its sparking, it may not be as strong as it should be. What i like to do is take an old spark plug, bend the electrode to where its almost pointing straight, and then check for spark again. If it jumps that gap then you know the spark is plenty strong. Hope this helps

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
what vehicle are you having these issues on?

1980 Pontiac Trans Am. 4.9 liter non turbo.
Ran out of time for this week, moving company coming in the am. I called a towing service that we use at work. They came and took it, said call them in a couple days when I get moved and they will come drop it off. No charge for storage so that helps get it out of the way for now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info