Compressed Air in your garage

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I am sure a good handful of people on here have compressed air in the garage....

My question is what do you use for your distribution system?

images

or

images

images

or

other...

or

Do you use a piped distribution system?

I would like to do the last, not on a big scale, just one outlet to either side of the garage...

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I have a good sized tank... There is a lot of debate about using PVC as that would be cheap and easy.

They only other thing to tackle is the noise, during the warm months it is not so bad with the door open, but when you are in the garage with the door closed it is LOUD.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I have a good sized tank... There is a lot of debate about using PVC as that would be cheap and easy.

They only other thing to tackle is the noise, during the warm months it is not so bad with the door open, but when you are in the garage with the door closed it is LOUD.

yeah i think Schedule 80 PVC will handle upto 250 PSI. It would be the cheapest option. You can also use copper, black or galvanized also. The pipes and fittings will get pricy. Just make sure you install drip legs to catch condensation.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Yeah I have looked at schematics so I have that part down, I think I would trust PVC for the limited use we have. Just have to check out the fittings to screw the valves into the PVC.

The problem with PVC is if it does rupture, you will have flying shards of plastic going everywhere. Thats the biggest debate and why most go with metal pipe. I know a guy that built a patato gun out of 1-1/2 schedule 40 PVC. He pumps 150psi and it holds just fine.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

The biggest contributor of noise is the air inlet and vibration.

Get some rubber isolator for the feet and that'll cut down alot.

If you add length to the air inlet and put it up a couple feet that'll help too.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I think the weakness in a PVC system would be the joints and contact with the pipe while under pressure, but even then I have read that there was no shrapnel.

yeah, but the glue that bonds PVC is suprisingly very strong. Its said to be stronger than the pipe itself. It melts/softens the plastic to create a weld like bond.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info