Someone educate me: Amp and alpine type-R speakers

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
So the type-R speaker I'm going to run up front say 110 watt RMS/330 watt peak and the 6X9's are 100 watt RMS/300 watt peak....

My amp says it'll run at 4 ohms 80 X 4 RMS. Is that enough power or did I buy an amp that's too weak? Total power output is 840 watts max, but obviously i'm more concerned with the RMS. I don't want to be clipping my Amp obviously. Need advice thanks!

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
You will be fine.
RMS is the highest power where the speaker can run and still meet it's other specs (frequency response, Sensitivity, etc.) Max power is what the speaker can handle for the peaks.

A 100W speaker generally requires 10W's to function properly. 80W driven into a 100W speaker is just fine.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
What brand amp is it? Based on max power output I'm going to guess either:

Dual/Jensen
Power Acoustik/SPL

Which essentially are at the same level of quality, and those power output numbers are in the ball park.

Lanzar, Volfenhag, Brand X, Pyle, Pyramid on the other hand........not so much.

Haha, you're right it's an SPL amp. I mean it seems good for the money. I wasn't trying to build a award winning sounds system of course. I just didn't know if I needed to run each speaker at the full 100 watts RMS, or if it would sound just find say pushing like 60.

I'm guessing you don't run the amp at the full 80 watts RMS per channel b/c it could cause clipping?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
You will be fine.
RMS is the highest power where the speaker can run and still meet it's other specs (frequency response, Sensitivity, etc.) Max power is what the speaker can handle for the peaks.

A 100W speaker generally requires 10W's to function properly. 80W driven into a 100W speaker is just fine.

it doesn't have anything to do with meeting the other specs or not. every manuf tests their shit differently too. which is why a lot of bs is thrown around especially in car audio

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Haha, you're right it's an SPL amp. I mean it seems good for the money. I wasn't trying to build a award winning sounds system of course. I just didn't know if I needed to run each speaker at the full 100 watts RMS, or if it would sound just find say pushing like 60.

I'm guessing you don't run the amp at the full 80 watts RMS per channel b/c it could cause clipping?

it doesn't work like that at all. 3/4 gain doesn't mean 60 of 80 RMS.

install amp, put the gain down lowest, play cd, turn head unit up until audio becomes unclear, back off until it's clear again, turn up amp gain until it's too loud or unlclear, back it off, done

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
it doesn't have anything to do with meeting the other specs or not. every manuf tests their shit differently too. which is why a lot of bs is thrown around especially in car audio

Actually many of the quality audio manufactures like Alpine do test their equipment to the same standards/limits as other companies (Kicker, JBL, Boston, Rockford, etc.) It is the "cheapie" companies that change the testing conditions in order to make their products seem better. These numerous companies do this to try and compete with the higher quality brands, which is where the bs gets thrown around.

As an example Pyramid use to rate their amps at 1 mhz signal. The amp would be about 50W at 1 khz, but at 1 mhz it would be 200W. The 1 mhz signal rating did not matter because not even dogs can hear a 1 mhz signal. So the amp woul never see that. But since the amp was "rated" at that level they could advertise it was a 200W amp.

All the ratings of the quality brands are done at the speakers RMS level which is also the point where the speaker is most efficient.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
when they determine RMS though they don't factor in things like THD or anything though. it's just math. hopefully a good manufacture measures the THD here though instead of giving you the bs. pyramid throws the amp into a freezer and then sends a bolt of lightning into it for a static tone to see how much wattage they get out for a nanosecond and rate their crap. the bigger manufactures i still don't trust to always be honest because the majority of people simply buy their amps by more watts = better which is only slightly better than looks cool/is big = better.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
icon_cea-2031_i.jpg

look for the CEA certified symbol this means they test at the industries standard

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
when they determine RMS though they don't factor in things like THD or anything though.

You misunderstood me. They do not factor THD or other things to determine RMS, RMS is a factor of speaker design (voice coil size, magnet size, cone design, etc.). But they do run the speaker at it's RMS power when they take the readings for the ratings.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info