Anyone know about helmets?

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
HELMET RATINGS...WHAT DO THEY MEAN?

Snell SA Rated Helmets:
Snell "SA" (Sports Application) rated professional helmets are designed for auto racing and provide extreme impact resistance and higher fire protection.

Snell M Rated Helmets:
Snell "M" (Motorcycle) rated helmets are designed for motorcycling and other motorsports. They offer slightly less protection than SA rated helmets.

What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:

SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

How do I know if my helmet meets the necessary Snell specifications?
Always check your club rulebook to determine what helmet specifications they require. SCCA Solo rules, for example, will allow you to use the current Snell specification, as well as the previous two Snell specifications. So, for the 2006 season, you could use Snell Snell M95/SA95, Snell M00/SA00, or Snell M05/SA05 helmets. Snell M90/SA90 helmets would not meet requirements after October 1, 2005.

Some other racing organizations will allow you to use the current Snell specification and only the previous Snell specification, so read your rulebook carefully. Also, be sure that your club will allow the use of Snell "M" rated helmets. SCCA Solo does allow these helmets, although some organizations that run high speed events will require Snell "SA" rated helmets.

Where can I get more info on Snell helmet ratings?
Check out the Snell Memorial Foundation website for some very good helmet information.

This helps.

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
bll-2004364_w.jpg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Any SA2000, M2000 or newer snell approved helmet will work. I spent a decent chunk of change on mine, and it definitely fits much nicer than the cheap helmets ive worn or borrowed in the past.

I have the Simpson Bandit, black, with the nomex liner. I didnt pay full price on it, but it was still pricy. Great helmet though.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SIM-1200032/

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
most tracks will allow either a snell "sa" (auto) or "m" (motorcycle) rated helmet as long as it is 2000 or newer. but depending on the class you run in - "sa" rating is required due to fire ratings and some other stuff - most of us can use a "m" rated helmet without any issues at almost any track. i just bought a zamp helmet from jegs....was $100 and is m2005 rated - comes with a helmet condom and everything

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
here is what i use... its a little on the expensive side but its the most comfortable helmet i have ever put on.. Its made for a bike, but meets all nhra requirements.

If i was buying another helmet tho, i think i may try an open face..

tg-b.jpg

although, has anyone ever been to a track where they actually check the helmet info?!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Every time I have ever been to GLD or 66 my helmet has been checked.. Byron, they just ask if you have a helmet if you look fast enough, 41 will ask if you have a helmet also. 41 has only checked mine maybe twice, but they do require it as well. Other than that, they are pretty lenient on the tech.

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
This should do the job?

Helmet Size Large
Circumference 23 1/2 in.
Hat Size 7 1/2 in.
Helmet Face Style Full
Helmet Color Black
Safety Rating Snell SA
Helmet Liner Material Carbon X
Helmet Shield Included Yes
Helmet Shield Color Clear
Visor No
Quantity Sold individually.

Value and quality at an affordable price.
These Bell Racing Sport helmets offer full-face protection and a larger eyeport. They feature removable Carbon X interior padding, a lightweight fiberglass shell, and a clear shield. Bell Racing Sport helmets are Snell 2005 SA rated and are designed for the sportsman racer who demands a good helmet. Available in your choice of white or black, they will keep you safe while going down the track, run after run.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
This should do the job?

Helmet Size Large
Circumference 23 1/2 in.
Hat Size 7 1/2 in.
Helmet Face Style Full
Helmet Color Black
Safety Rating Snell SA
Helmet Liner Material Carbon X
Helmet Shield Included Yes
Helmet Shield Color Clear
Visor No
Quantity Sold individually.

Value and quality at an affordable price.
These Bell Racing Sport helmets offer full-face protection and a larger eyeport. They feature removable Carbon X interior padding, a lightweight fiberglass shell, and a clear shield. Bell Racing Sport helmets are Snell 2005 SA rated and are designed for the sportsman racer who demands a good helmet. Available in your choice of white or black, they will keep you safe while going down the track, run after run.
That'll due.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info