Resurfacing Cross Drilled Rotors

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
It is getting towards the time to do brakes on my GXP, it has been a whopping 26k miles and 32 months that I have owned it. I know there are quite a few shops that give you crap about resurfacing cross drilled rotors. Anyone have any luck with places that do? I am thinking that a machine shop would be the better choice.

6325656232376423.JPG

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I would prefer not to waste perfectly good rotors.... I normally agree but the surface seems to be a little wavy and glazed, no vibration though so I am sure I could just sand paper them and put on new pads. But I would prefer to resurface them to basically start fresh.

B

Bad00SS

I would not try to do this on any type of brake lathe. most places that do normal brake rotor turning will not do it anyway. These need to be done on a milling machine. slotted rotors even more so. They need to be machined as you would when you resurface a flywheel. not sure what equipment carquest has, but good luck.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Little Update:

Dropped them off at the Carquest machine shop this morning at about 8:15 and went back to pick them up at 5:15 and they weren't done. Apparently it took him all day to turn 1 and a half rotors so he expects to have them done by lunch tomorrow. It takes many passes to do it properly so it is time consuming!

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Me too, otherwise I won't be picking them up! Actually I don't think they were on the lathe all day because something tells me eventhough I was there shortly after 8 there was probably a few things in the queue before me.

For comparison new rotors from Carquest are 120ish each.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I know you can get non cross for lower, I was citing the comparable replacement. I chose to go with Akebono pads as I am not happy with the stockers, lots of dust! Also they were barely able to cut the rotors, after 25K miles the pads were totally gone and the rotors were just about at the no cut zone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info