May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
wow....

full thread here
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=37559

gotboost said:
The white Hennessey GT-R that was in you-tube videos and then was sold on E-bay to a young man in Washington State ended up at Cobb/Surgeline Tuning in Portland today for some much needed mods. Has running problems and I'll post a few pics and see what you guys think.
henn9.jpg

Intake boot trippled up:
henn7.jpg

henn3.jpg

Stainless steel intake....note MAF cutout :doh:
henn26.jpg

henn1.jpg

Sheet metal screws holding MAF in intake tube :doh:
henn8.jpg

Bent up MAF tabs, Fubarr'd sealing gasket
henn6.jpg

henn5.jpg

and later in the thread

dave@hennessey said:
First let me introduce myself. I am the General Manager of Hennessey. While John has commented on his past on this forum I will leave that alone but I will address this vehicle as it was brought to my attention today. I have shipped over 350 cars since I have been here in the last two years and you will find no unresolved issues.

This GTR was one of the very first GTR's into the country. We bought the car, paid a premium for it so we could get it to the media right away. No parts or pieces existed for this car at the time. This car was purely a prototype, built in three days from the day we acquired it to be tested by the media. It was featured in many magazines, performed perfectly and if I recall was 0-60 in 2.8s and 10.8 in the 1/4. Then we did some stuff with it for Texas mile where it also performed great and still holds the record I think. While our production cars are totally different as you can see by the custom flanges and hoses. We have modified over 40 GTR's to date with our production pieces and we also sell our kits to many other shops.

As far as this customer, I spoke to him a few months ago and told him we would happily address any issues he was having for no charge. He has had the car for about 9 months I believe and was delivered running great. He mentioned to me it started running funny and that is when i told him we would take care of it. Also this customer bought this car off of ebay knowing the history of the car and knowing it was a prototype car.

But why anyone without the facts would choose to bash us I find alarming. My phone number is not hard to find. I feel it would be better served to call and get the facts instead of trying to slam another company. It is very unprofessional to try to bash another company just so you look better. If anyone has any questions my number is 979-885-1300.

Either way those are the facts and do with them as you wish.

IMG_3598.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

Z

Zenriddles

IF <----- Big IF

That is truly a prototype car, then I - as a Prototype Engineer - find no fault in the parts shown as long as they function dependably.
I also lose my ass on prototypes, and frequently sell them for way less than I have into them just to recoup some losses. As long as I'm open with the customer and stand behind my product, we are both happy with any minor substandard bits here and there which are part of the history of this next generation product.

Here's how prototyping works - Make what works FIRST, to see if it works. THEN go back on future models and do what's 'most right'.
The slot in that air tube and some bent ears on a plastic sensor mount? Perfectly acceptable to see if the damn sensor will even FUNCTION in that spot. Think MAF's - How many MAFs will freak out it you give them a 1/4 turn without otherwise even moving them?

LOTS.

So, if I want to see if a certain sensor location works, I cut a slot and jam a sensor down in it and see if it responds. If it don't, I'm not that deep into the effort. If it works, WOO HOO. If it doesn't work, it don't hurt much and I start over with the next sensor location and make a new tube.
On the other hand, if I cast a perfect lightweight magnesium piece with machined boss in the same place as the hand cut notch, I can easily be out $5000.00 just to find out that putting that sensor in that location is an intolerable error.
Now I'm out $5000.00 for being stupid enough to make a full-on production item before I even knew WTF I was doing.

Stacking rubber boots? I'm concerned about any meaningful longevity here - i.e. - blowoffs. For the test bay or a track session to see what happens I'm fine with it. For the road, not so sure. I'd need to see how they pitched the car. If it said "prototype, as is", then I'd expect all kinds of business like this and never find fault in the folks who learned from their adventures.

Just my educated opinion. Looks like someone got exactly what they bought and just wants to bitch.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info