Any input? 3.73's Vs. 4.10's Fluids/etc?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm trading + small cash on my side my 3.73 Posi/disk rear end in favor of a 4.10 Posi/drum rear. Same # of splines, and no welding required to make the drum rear work on the ranger. *to make the disk rear I'd have to relocate the shock perches.*

I'm sure this will amplify my traction issues, but is there any recommendations for what fluid I should be running in it? I'm sure this is going to further destroy my gas mileage, but how bad should I expect it to be from those who've done this kind of gearing selection? Is the economy loss worth the performance gains?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Well... big Q's here.

1st... moving perches is SIMPLE. You can buy new perches for like $30 for a set. Piece of cake to weld that junk on.

2nd... disc > drum any day.

3rd... if its limited slip, make sure to add the Ford additive to the fluids.

4th... gear ratios= 1st = 2.84 2nd = 1.55 3rd = 1 4th = .70 Therefore, assuming 28" tires, you'll top out at 118mph @ 5800RPM. More than enough gear.

5th... mileage! 4.10s will hurt. 2K RPM will only net you 58mph in 4th. 2500 = 73mph.

What you think about all that?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
This is a fukkin pickup truck. Seriously worried about disc drag over every day stopping power? You so silly, James.... :rollpicard:

like disks are needed for 30% of the stopping power...on the end with barely any weight...on a truck that likely isnt gonna tow anything heavy or often

i drive a truck with 4 wheel drum brakes... i can coast foreva :s00ls:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Glad I asked this question then. :).

118 is plenty and the rpms are bearable since this will not be a highway cruzer.

And I never thought about drag, that's a small but very valid point. I don't need disk at all in a truck as small as mine, it'd be more for the apperance I have to admit, so ignoring the disks 3.73s vs. 4.10s

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i dont think the housing ends are different so there is the possibility of swapping brakes and keeping the 3.73

just to crap on the parade some more im switching from 3.73 to 3.55 d60's in my truck but thats cause im looking for more mpg and i barely use the granny...for a fun truck i'd say go with 4.10 especially if it will be getting some big sticky tires

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Glad I asked this question then. :).

118 is plenty and the rpms are bearable since this will not be a highway cruzer.

And I never thought about drag, that's a small but very valid point. I don't need disk at all in a truck as small as mine, it'd be more for the apperance I have to admit, so ignoring the disks 3.73s vs. 4.10s

As I stated, having a higher gear ratio doesn't necesarilly mean your truck will be faster.

i see your point but at the same time i dont see him blowing the dough on a converter or a bunch of engine mods

not to mention thats a wide gap at the 1-2 ratio

Yea, the Trans is geared KILLER wide early, and I'd rather not drop the coin on a new converter, especially after getting it INTO the truck I'd rather not pull it back out.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
It's not like the rear end is going to change the trans ratios. The wide gap between 1 and 2 will remain the same.

no kidding, but at least it will have the additional leverage once it shifts to second, for Daily driver duty i can figure he'd be running cars from stoplight to stoplight and probably not leave 2nd for those cases.
at the track ive seen plenty of auto stangs run better times with 4.10's than 3.73's seems moreso when the motor is mostly stock. i remember going to the track when the 5.0HO stangs first came out

remember that 3inch stroke does make em winders not tq monsters

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
no kidding, but at least it will have the additional leverage once it shifts to second, for Daily driver duty i can figure he'd be running cars from stoplight to stoplight and probably not leave 2nd for those cases.
at the track ive seen plenty of auto stangs run better times with 4.10's than 3.73's seems moreso when the motor is mostly stock. i remember going to the track when the 5.0HO stangs first came out

remember that 3inch stroke does make em winders not tq monsters

That's what I'm aiming for 'stoplight destroyer' and I've read quite a few people strongly recommend 4.10s for the auto

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info