Road Course: 08 Mustang vs. 2 C6 Z06's

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
So to paraphrase that video. You can buy a Mustang (GT none the less, not a GT500), slap a suspension kit on it, and spank Z06's around a track all day long. The z06 was pulling away on straights, but was being embarrassed around the turns. Only once the STOCK differential failed, did the Mustang start to worry about the z06 corvettes (he still pulled passed them though).

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
a very experienced driver behind the wheel of a mustang vs what looked like 2 inexperienced drivers. they were braking very early...
the first vette got stuck behind a miata. the second vette waved him by, probably to avoid being taken out by a certain mustang sliding all over the track. :hsugh:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
So to paraphrase that video. You can buy a Mustang (GT none the less, not a GT500), slap a suspension kit on it, and spank Z06's around a track all day long. The z06 was pulling away on straights, but was being embarrassed around the turns. Only once the STOCK differential failed, did the Mustang start to worry about the z06 corvettes (he still pulled passed them though).

welcome to every hpde day

i've passed ferraris and been passed by miatas

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
The big thing here is that the drivers were more than equally matched. The two Z06 drivers have literally DECADES of track experience. Me... one year... 10 events... That's it...

The Corvette is a beast don't get me wrong. And yes, both cars eventually waved me on, but.. neither was ever able to keep up, ever. They just got further and further away until I could no longer see them. And I never said it was easy, it wasn't. All of us were working our asses off but the Corvettes can be a real handful on the edge which was proven eariler by the best driving experience of my life...

Earlier that day my boss, Bruce Griggs was out in HIS C5 Z06. He keeps that car in house as a benchmark of what we NEED to be able to beat. Headers, Intake, tune, race seats, Toyo RA-1s and brakes. Makes 450HP with ease. And lets keep in mind that he has 40 years of motorsport experience with a LOT of victories to his name. I ended up coming up behind him and once he figured out what I was doing, it was ON! In his words.. " I did everything I could to keep you behind me" And of course he blew me away on the straights, but by the end of turn 2 we were less than 6 feet apart. His car was all over the place at the limit. He finally moved over and then tried to chase me and couldn't keep up.

Neither of us had cameras working.. mine had already stopped. But I so wish we did because the conversation following the event was priceless because both Bruce and I were stunned.

And again this isn't saying that Mustangs are faster than Z06 Corvettes.
Its saying... Griggs Mustangs are faster than Z06 Corvettes.

:drama: :D

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs

Uhhhhhhh yeah keep telling yourself that. :picard: One video and every mustang nutrider gets excited lol. Go out and play with one, then comeback. :)

not at all...sorry Z06-lovers.
He was totally slacking. Look at how he was leaning into the turns. Look at the abrupt stopping that he was doing in comparison to the stang. I wouldn't risk 70 grand either. Anyhow ZO6 ownz any ford performance car out on the market today. Looks, performance, everything LOL. Just accept it. :p

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Is this video trying to say that a 3100lb 505hp car is actually not faster than a stock mustang with suspension? http://www.motortrend.com/features/laguna_lap/index.html Also, when tested at the same track the Z06 4 seconds faster than a Cobra Mustang according to MT.com. But a Regular GT mustang with suspension is not only just as fast as a Z06 but apparently better than a cobra as well? Z06's are notorious for being difficult to drive fast.

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
Sounds like a chevy owner with a sandy vag.
All i have to say is: Scoreboard.

How about gettin down with my ford this spring for $$?

LOL! I love how people get riled up right off the bat and want to race. I didn't say my slow shit was better. I said a "Z06" is better, READ lol. But yeah supply me with a c6 Z06 in that case and sure I'm all game. :bigthumb:

Sorry, actually I'm not sorry, but a ZO6 will kick the shit out of any mustang on and off the track. This truly doesn't even need to be compared. It's a fact. :) And we are talking mod for mod. Think about that one. If the 08 mustang was better which is entirely retarded to even stop and take the time to write this out... BUT if it was, then why the hell would people buy the new Cobras? Which still has lost races in road and track, and in every damn youtube, streetfire,edmunds, video comparing the new Cobra to the Z06. Shit the ZO6 even took down the Ford GT. I think we need to change the title of the thread to... Why are mustang owners so delusional? :D For god sakes Ford GT mustangs have finally caught up to LT1s, a design that is almost now 20 years old. Even your new 5.0 coming out if I am correct is still a 5spd? That's just the weak sauce lol!

Don't get your panties all in a twist if you can't take a little heat from the competition. ;)

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
This video was done for one purpose marketing.
You first need to realize the difference in demographics and mentality of our target audience vs. the average Z06 owner. Its huge. From the age differences to the difference in education, social groups, income, etc.

Videos like this sell parts, plain and simple. And get Internet fanboys all worked up. And to the people that really know what they are doing They can see the immediate differences in driver ability. They will also notice that we werent going that fast, I had a new customer in that car and that track was COVERED in **** from a rainy/muddy session the day before. And its just a track day. So no need or way to even go 10/10ths.

Hopefully some of you can appreciate a 300HP Mustang running with cars that had a significant weight and power advantage on video. I knew it would ruffle a few feathers in the Corvette world, but you must understand that the Corvette is THE benchmark. If I had posted a video of me being beaten by a Z06 no one would have cared.

You guys should know that I have no intention of pissing people off, that video is worded in such a way so that certain people can relate to it. I am a huge Corvette fan so much so that I have a 650HP Mast Motorsports LS7 in my 65 Mustang Fastback. There simply isnt a Ford-based engine that even comes close. Now THAT pisses off Mustang owners. Either way, I appreciate your time, thank you for writing me.

A few facts about the car:
2008 Mustang GT making 305HP
3750lbs. with driver and fuel
Car was equipped with 305/35/18 Toyo Proxxes R888 tires with 114 heat cycles on them that were just starting to show cords by the end of the day. Less than ideal.
The stock Traction-Lok differentials are known to be junk and had been getting worse and worse in the last few weeks which made it really hard to put any power down in the corners.
I have only been driving this car for a year, 10 sessions to be exact.
I have several years of performance driving, stunt driving, dirt experience.
My best time in that car at that track in that configuration is 2:01.14

guess he got you svtkid

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

i was just thinking bout how this said they have been driving tracks and shit for 10 years.

so what.

i have been snowboarding for almost 10 years, and i am far from good.

im better than i was yea, but im not good...

thats like the fantasy factory episode that where robs lawyer said he took the sat in 7th grade... when asked what he got.... he "didnt remember"

i guess what i am trying to say is just cuz you have track experience- doesnt make you a good driver. it helps of course. but thats it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info