turbo/forced induction guys... quick question for intercooler setup and BOV placement

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
which way is better from my awesomely done paint drawing...

the distance to the throttlebody the longest, or the shorter?

also, where is the best place for bov, closest to the TB or farther or where?

thisway.jpg

thatway.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I would say short from the intercooler to TB......Less time for the air to cool down before it goes into the the TB

And the BOV closest as possiable to TB to get rid of the air before it hits the blades of the TB.....

The air would cool through the IC.....thus coming from the Turbo to the IC would be longer thus be a cooler charge then coming out the IC to the TB would be a shorter run of pipe thus being a cooler air charge going inside your motor and have less time under the hood....

thats what i thought you meant... sooo im gonna edit what you said... hhaha to how i understand what you are saying...

I would say short from the intercooler to TB......Less time for the air to "warm back up" before it goes into the the TB

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Wow. Joe really can be productive in a thread? :eek: Whodathunkit?

On top of that, I agree. Shortest run should be the cold side of the IC to the TB for the exact reason Joe stated. Less distance for that cooler intake charge to travel, thus less time under the hood to heat up.

:bigthumb:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i just read this as far as bov placement goes.... but bov placement doesnt seem as crucial to me as pipe routing.

The vast majority of people will tell you that you are supposed to place your blow off valve within a couple feet of your throttle body. I am here to tell you that this is not the best location for your blow off valve.

The best location for your blow off valve is going to be in between your turbo and intercooler, on the hot side.

Think about it. If you put the blow off valve on the cold side (after the intercooler), you are pushing hot air through your intercooler for nothing. This increases the speed at which your intercooler and motor become heat soaked.

By putting the blow off valve before, or even on the intercooler itself - you allow all of the hot compressed air to escape to atmosphere prior to passing through the intercooler. A blow off valve does the same thing no matter where you place it on the charge piping. Knowing this - it's only logical to put it in a place where it relieves hot air rather than cold air.

http://www.dragsource.com/index.php?navselect=articles&articletoview=7

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
But the flip side to having it on after the IC would be when the bllades open up to the TB will be straight cold air and the BOV after the turbo is fine as well but I would thing it would take a millisecond long to pass through the IC than straight tubing, and you are dumping COLD air on your motor......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info