Where to get a 383 locally...(PIC)

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Where to get a 383 locally...(PIC)...found one...

...we are looking for a 383 4-bolt main, single piece rear seal, and flat top pistons.

Is there any hook up locally? Besides, Jegs and Summit.

We have SB 350 bored 0.060" over and the #1 main bearing look bad. Two of the three cam bolts were loose. We run a high volume oil pump but we have not ruled anything out as to what caused it.

IMG00049-20100124-1238.jpg

IMG00052-20100124-1239.jpg

Found a short block in the Midwest. Bowtie sportman block, 4340 crank, king HP bearings, one piece rear main seal, 4-bolt main, and flat top piston.

Last edited:

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
if the serps are auto tensioners, i would put it towards the cam gear being loose.

without the bolts tight is there axial play? with the cam gear loose there is a chance of chain whip causing the crank to deflect, though it could be realated to an oil flow issue...what did the gauge indicate?

I was thinking chain whip too. Oil pressure was fine when it was running. It never dropped to zero.

$600 is a steal!

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Just tore it down yesterday. All of the mains are showing copper. Looks like the hi volume oil pump and the stock oil pan size setup did this one in.

Now what kind of 383 should we get? Definitely 4-bolt and one piece seal but what is the biggest difference between 5.7" and 6.0" rod?

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
Indeed that is odd. What the hell would have dented the oil pickup?

And how do you break the body @ the roller pin without seizing the lifter in its bore first? Crazy over heat?

I was not there when the engine was built. #1 exhaust lifter would not come out of the lifter bore. It is scuffed up but the body is not broken.

I am guessing whoever machined the block did not do a good job with the lifter bores but right now i cant rule anything or anyone out. for all i know it is probably machined for OEM lifters.

The best thing to do is to start fresh with a new block.

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
It has been a while since i posted in this thread. So, quick recap. Car is still on jack stands...ordered engine and parts last week...Bowtie block, 6" rod, flat top pistons, and painted silver.

So far we got the oil pan, oil pump, hardware, and gaskets. Still waiting for the short block to arrive and selecting a cam.

We decided to ditch the block because something was not right with it. main bearings were shot but rod bearing were ok. I will post more pictures soon.

Nick

P.S. the short block is being built with King bearings and four bolt mains.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info