2011 BMW 135i Gets N55 Single-Turbo Inline-6, Optional 7-Speed Dual-Clutch Gearbox

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
would drive...w/ a manual

BMW's N55 engine, a direct-injected 3.0-liter straight six with a single, twin-scroll turbocharger, will eventually supersede its twin-turbo N54 engine, and the 2011 BMW 1 Series is next in line to get it. It's going into the 135i coupe and convertible.

Don't expect any additional horsepower or torque from the new engine -- they're still rated 300/300 -- but look for that torque peak to hit 200 rpm sooner at just 1,200 rpm. The primary advantage of the N55 engine over the N54, though, is almost certainly that it's cheaper for BMW to manufacture.

The other big change in the 2011 135i is the availability of BMW's seven-speed, dual-clutch automated manual gearbox as an option. We're expecting that BMW has toned down the shift aggressiveness compared to the M3 version, and most likely, slimmed down the selection of shift programs. It appears that the dual-clutch box will replace the conventional six-speed automatic on the option sheet (the traditional 6-speed manual remains standard).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mook
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list